Author Topic: Zeiss Conquest, anyone?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Zeiss Conquest, anyone?
« on: December 23, 2002, 02:43:04 AM »
I need a scope for a new 6.5 x 55 rifle I am getting, and was thinking about the Zeiss Conquest 3X9.  I have had good luck in the past with the B&L elite series, and with the old Leupold Vari X-II, but am wanting to step to the next level on this rifle. I can get it locally (or on the web, for that matter) for $399.

Anybody have one of these?

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Zachary

Zeiss Conquest, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 04:44:59 AM »
Tom,

I have some concern about these Conquests.  Zeiss' other scopes go up to $1,500.  Now, they have scopes that are less than 1/3 in price.  I have experience with Zeiss scopes, and I must tell you that, in my opinion, they are better than most scopes, but definately not worth the much higher premium.  That notwithstanding, there has to be a difference between it's VM line and its Conquest line.  So what is that difference?

The glass on the Conquest line is not the same as the glass in its VM line.  In fact, even the ZM line is not all that great either.  The Conquest has a 1' tube while the VM has 30mm tubes.  Also, the internal mechanisms are not the same quality in the Conquest as they are in the VM.  How do I know?  I have spoken with Zeiss reps are various trade shows and they reluctantly, yet ultimately, told me these things.  But if you think about it, what else could they say.  You can't tell me that the Conquest, at $400, is the same as the $1,500 VM.

The Conquest was brought in to fight directly with Leupold's Vari-X IIIs in its market share in the US.  Keep in mind that the conquest scopes are not sold in Europe (or at least that's what they told me.)

For the money, you are better off with a Leupold Vari-X III.  Again, I think that the Elite 4200s are optically better than the Vari-X IIIs, but if you want to get something different, then at least get something that is a better value.  I think that the Conquest is cheaper in price, but not necessarily a better value because, as the price is cheaper, so too is its quality - thus, you aren't gaining any ground with respect to value.

Zachary

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
Forget the conquest, how about the DIAVARI-ZA?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 09:10:10 AM »
I just made a deal on the rifle, and on a used Zeiss DIAVARI-ZA 1.5-6X.  It cost me ~$440.  Only issue is the 30mm tube diameter.  I prefer weaver bases with Burris Zee rings, and don't know if they make 30mm rings.  Will find out, though.  I think I made a great deal on this glass, what do you guys think?

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Zeiss Conquest, anyone?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 10:35:40 AM »
Isn't that the scope that Leupold is or at least once was making for Zeiss? Does it have a gold ring on the objective? I don't get too involved in these European scopes as they don't know where to put the reticle and have it in the wrong plane so I'd not own one for my use even if cheaper than American brands.

But I do remember that Leupold was making a scope for one of them and I think this is the one. If so there will be a gold ring around the objective like on Leupold scopes.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

Zeiss Conquest, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2002, 04:35:55 PM »
I didn't know that.  Come to think of it, I wonder if the Conquest models are also made by another manufacturer.  With the Conquest scopes at 1/3 the price of their VM line, this could be a reasonable explanation.

Zachary

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Zeiss Conquest, anyone?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 04:22:33 PM »
I believe the Conquest scope parts are made in Germany then shipped and assembled in the USA, while the VM line is made and assembled in Germany.  Obviously this doesn't explain the price difference, so there has to be some quality conpromise.

I just got a new Ziess Conquest and so far have been satisfied.  I don't see any difference between it and my Vari X III Leoupold as far as optics.  I like the extended eye relief and focus adjustment on the Ziess.  My Leoupold is a 4.5x14x50mm while the Ziess is a 4.5x14x44mm.  There is a difference early/late in light gathering, but not that much.

Offline Kent Harshman

Zeiss Conquest Scope Line
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2003, 03:34:22 AM »
Tom,
I would suggest that you try and get a copy of the January, 2003 issue of Precision Shooting magazine. (www.precisionshooting.com) There is an optics' review in this issue entitled, 'New From Zeiss', written by Jacob Gottfredson.  Jacob is a well-known writer in the long-range hunting and optics' evaluation arenas.  He discusses similarities and differences in the 3 Zeiss scope lines...the VM/V, ZM/Z and Conquest line.  I'd rather not quote directly from the magazine, but basically, according to Zeiss, the premium price demanded for the VM/V reflects their desire to lead the industry in lighter-weight scopes, larger field-of-view and greater magnification ranges.  The design, lenses, coatings, materials and features used in all 3 lines is similar.
Hope this helps...
Kent Harshman
Palmyra, PA.
harshman@lvc.edu

Offline tom ga hunter

• Trade Count: (1)
I HAVE A 3.5X10 CON. AND IT IS BETTER THAN A LEUPOLD
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2003, 11:05:59 PM »
I HAVE 6 1" GERMAN ZEISSES AND 4 SWARVOSKI'S.. THE MADE IN US ZEISSES ARE A REALLY GOOD BUY.  IF I GO OUT WEST AND ONLY CARRY 1 RIFLE IT HAS A LEUPOLD 2.5X8 BECAUSE THE ONLY SCOPE FAILURE I HAVE EVER HAD IN THE FIELD WAS A GERMAN ZEISS..

BEAR BASIN SELLS 3X9'S FOR $340.00 & 3.5X10'S FOR $425.00