Author Topic: remington model 7 bases  (Read 695 times)

Offline rusty75

• Trade Count: (0)
remington model 7 bases
« on: August 25, 2004, 01:24:52 PM »
i just purchased a remington stainless model 7 in .308 and would like advice on the best bases.  i had my local shop install bases today they put a 2 piece base where the rear base hangs over the receiver 1/4". i didn't think this looked right, but he said it was still stronger than a 1 piece.  please let me know the best solution. thanks.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
remington model 7 bases
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »
Well he is either telling you a bald faced lie or is badly misinformed. Take your pick. You know him I don't.

Still with the newer Model 7s I'd much prefer a two piece base to a one piece. All of my Model 7s have been older ones which required the one piece base. I detest one piece bases on bolt action rifles.

Were I to buy a new Model 7 with two holes at the rear so I could I'd sure buy two piece bases. Which? Well I dunno mostly because I've not checked to see what is being made for them right now. I think my first choice likely would be a Weaver if they make them. Second would be the Dual Dovetail bases as made by folks like Leupold, Burris and Redfield perhaps. But I'm pretty sure that latter isn't available.

The one thing I'd NOT use if there was anyway to avoid it is the generic Redfield type with windage adjustable rear base. That is the absolute weakest mounting system in existence.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Al

• Trade Count: (2)
remington model 7 bases
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 01:59:15 PM »
Talley makes a 1pc ring/base that look good and work great.

Think they are the same thing Ultra Lite Arms uses.

Offline lurcher

• Trade Count: (0)
remington model 7 bases
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 08:16:10 PM »
check out Gentry custom rings and bases for the model 7 I have the stainless bases and they are very light and the overal set up is nice see

http://www.gentrycustom.com/ringsbases.html

Lurcher
Dunedin
New Zealand