Author Topic: 1860 revolver reassembly of lockwork  (Read 791 times)

Offline dancbtmkr

• Trade Count: (0)
1860 revolver reassembly of lockwork
« on: August 28, 2004, 12:30:30 PM »
Apparantly,  no one thought that one would disasemble their lockwork assembly....cuz I have found ZERO instructions on how to do it.  I've got it back together mostly,  but I cant get the frame and the mainspring/grip together. There's gotta be a trick.  I've spent hours on it and I'm aggrevated!!! :shock:
 :evil:
Please help

Dancbtmkr

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 01:28:38 PM »
Don't dog the screws as you go.  Put them in and give them only a couple of turns just to keep them in, as you hold the trigger guard away from the frame.  Once you have all of them started, start tightening them up.  Sometimes the frame holes are just a bit off and if you tighten one screw, the others will not lineup properly.

Also, if you took two guns apart, don't mix up the grip frames.  Don't know if this'll help you, but it's what I've learned about taking these clones apart.  :-)
Singing Bear

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 03:39:50 PM »
Are you trying to get the mainspring in place as you go or have you swung it to one side?  Some makes will allow this and some interfere, which means the mainspring has to be removed, the grip frame installed and the mainspring installed.

Offline dancbtmkr

unfortunately.....
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 03:04:03 AM »
Unfortunately,  I don't understand what to do.  I looked all over the internet for a step by step,  but I didn't find anything.

Dancbtmkr

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 05:16:55 AM »
Let's do it step by step.  I assume you are holding a frame with hammer, trigger, hand, bolt, etc. installed with the two grip frames apart.  In other words, the barrel and cylinder are off and the frame is left.  Now make sure the bolt, trigger and trigger spring are in the right place and that the hammer cycles the bolt and hand.  At this point, if you drop the cylinder back into place, the cylinder would cycle and lock.  Now install the lower grip frame (the one that holds the mainspring).  This will cover the bolt, trigger spring, etc.  This should go into place fairly easily and you fasten it down with three screws - two rear ones are the same but the front is different.  Once this is tight to the frame, attach the mainspring.  It's easier to swing it to one side and get the screw started first.  Now, all that needs to be done is to put the grips and backstrap in place.  That is three screws and you should be finished with nothing left over.  Let us know if this helps or we can detail strip it all the way to bare frame and work backwards if necessary.

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 06:07:00 AM »
Excellent Woolridge,just don't tighten the back grip fram till last.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Flint

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »
There are lots of disassembly instructions around, the NRA has a manual with the cap & Ball and the Colt SAA in it.  any manual on the Peacemakerwill do, as, they are almost exactly the same inside.   The gripframes, triggers, bolts and springs are interchangable, and the screws except for some period trigger and bolt and hammer screws which have different threads over the years..  Don't expect the internet to be a source for disassembly of guns, particularly "obsolete" ones.  Were I looking for instructions on that, I would be in the bookstore, not the internet. (except here).

Woolridge has ir pretty well in hand.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Good time Charlie

• Avid Poster
Disassembly
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 02:37:34 AM »
What about the ROA? Is there some place I can find disassembly instructions on it. I have had it for a good while and would like to see whats going on inside. Like rust or not.
                                     Charlie

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 04:19:17 AM »
Good time Charlie, go to www.rugerfirearms.com for instructions.They have info for all thier guns.--Willy

Offline dancbtmkr

perfecto!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 01:20:53 PM »
Now I know.  It was the order that I was messing up, and swinging the spring to the side helps alot too.

Thanks for your help guys.

Dancbtmkr