Author Topic: paw paws as deer food?  (Read 976 times)

Offline student

• Trade Count: (0)
paw paws as deer food?
« on: September 20, 2004, 04:21:02 AM »
I'm pretty new to deer hunting and most of my experience has been on a farm, hunting along treelines and soybean and corn fields.

I'm now starting to hunt in the woods along the Shenandoah river and foothills of the Blue Ridge.  I found a ridge top with a stand/grove of Paw Paw  trees, that is starting to drop fruit right now.  If the fruit lasts till bow season,  is that a likely attraction for deer?

I've read that deer eat Paw Paws, but do any of you guys have any direct experience with this?  BTW, the area surrounding the Paw Paw stand is loaded with White Oak and the acorns are reall thick.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Student

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
paw paws as deer food?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 05:54:28 AM »
Don't about PawPaws................Don't have a clue what they are  :shock: .But if you have soybean feilds like you said I'd stick to them.Deer love them.Enlighten me on what a PawPaw is..............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline student

What's a Paw Paw?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 06:07:02 AM »
It's a native American fruit tree that grows in the woods.

If you go to the bottom of the page at this link, you will get a whole list of links:

http://www.fred.net/kathy/pawpaws.html

It sounds like they are real hard to grow commercially, so people have forgotton about them.  If you look at the map on the link, they don't grow too far north or too far south, kind of mid-Atlantic/Applalachian/Midwest.

You are right about the soybeans, but I'm not able to do that this year.

I just thought that the Paw Paws might be a deer magnet, especially in such a large grove of them that I found.

Student

Offline flintlock

paw paws as deer food?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:22:17 AM »
Not sure about paw paws...but I am about the white oaks...deer LOVE them...find a good tree that deer are feeding under...(look at the tops of the acorns...if the top has a half moon cut out of...thats deer sign)...you might can find a tree that you can climb that you can watch both from...I'd go in before the season, with a climbing tree stand...take your binoculars, and look for myself...then you will have an idea as to where the deer were coming from...and when the season opens...you will be ready...Good Luck...flintlock

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
paw paws as deer food?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 02:00:50 AM »
Deer love em and so do a lot of other critters !!  Dont ya love the way those paw paw's smell  :grin: They also love persimmons ... Good trick to play on yer buddies that have never seen a wild persimmon... Pick one of the tree and give him a big bite  :shock:  :eek:  :)  :)