Author Topic: Follow-up: Muley/Whitetail Bullet Selection for 30-06  (Read 575 times)

Offline BowhunterNJ

• Trade Count: (0)
Follow-up: Muley/Whitetail Bullet Selection for 30-06
« on: September 26, 2004, 11:40:51 AM »
Just got back from the range with some good results.  I think I've settled in on a bullet finally for my Wyoming Mule Deer hunt (and for hunting Whitetails out here if I ever go to a state where you can hunt with a HP rifle, not here in NJ).

Manufacturer:    Federal
Load Number:    P3006D
Load Type:        Premium Vital Shok
Caliber:             30-06 Springfield (7.62x63mm)
Grain:               165 grain
Bullet Style:      Sierra Gameking BTSP

I'll probably still shoot a few more, but I think I'm going with the following based on the results today.  Definitely the best grouping out of the bullets I've shot to date.

Thanks to Wayne Davis (Davis Shooting Sports LLC in Goshen, NY) for recommending giving these bullets a try...I never would have if he hadn't mentioned it.  I'll have to thank him personally next time I'm up there! ;)

Pretty decent 6 shot group at 200 yards from the bench, with one floater (not sure why...must have been a glitchy load, since it certainly couldn't be me!!!! :grin: )

Note:  The picture is rightside up, I just stuck the high-vis target on upside down! :P

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Follow-up: Muley/Whitetail Bullet Selectio
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 04:41:55 PM »
I think that load will do. Most people I know that hunt muleys here in MT use 165 Remington Cor-lockts. I will be using 180gr. Partitions out of my .30-06, as I have my gun already sighted in with them for bear hunting, and will just use the same for deer, and elk.

HogFan

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 03:13:47 AM »
BowhunterNJ, thats is the same load I'll be using this year as well. My brother recommended them to me. He has been using this load for a long time with great results on deer. I'd say 10 out of 12 dropped in there tacks all nice bucks too (25-125 yards.) So this summer I bought a tikka t3 in .30-06 (my first .30-06) I've always been a .270 guy. The first load I tried was the 165gr. gamekings along with 3 or 4 others and they shot the best.

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 07:22:26 AM »
Nice group there.  Looks like you have a winning combination.  Good luck

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 09:30:23 AM »
Looks pretty good. I use all 150 grain bullets in my 30 calibers. I shoot the Sierra pro hunter in my 7600 30-06 and 150 grain Nosler partitions in my Browning 308.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 12:48:03 PM »
BowhunterNJ Your suppose to call that flyer a fouling shot  :lol:
Nice group anyway. My 308 hates those 165 BTs I use the flat base 150s

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 09:37:17 AM »
That's some nice shootin' @ 200 yards!   Assuming your group is on the shoulder, the flyer would be well inside "Minute of DEER" and right in the boiler room!    I would take any of them on a live buck any day!   :wink:

BTW, if you wanta' hunt with your rifle, head SOUTH - 'cos most of the States down here below the Mason-Dixon Line allow hunting with a rifle.  Your 30-06 would do well across some of the big Bean and P-Nut fields down this way!  

Check out the Hornady "Light Magnum" loads for high performance 30-06, too...  

GOOD LUCK!   :D
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.