Author Topic: brenneke rottweil m.p slugs??  (Read 1978 times)

Offline beefa

• Trade Count: (0)
brenneke rottweil m.p slugs??
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:18:03 AM »
just got my tracker2 some rounds, the only slugs they had in 2 3/4in 1oz were these brennekes rottweil, has anybody used these in there 12g tracker??? and what kind of recoil am i looking at? worse than a 30-06 or like a 30-30, never fired a shotgun... thanks bill :D

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 11:06:13 AM »
take two 30-06 and throw in a 30/30 and you have an estimation of the recoil :) . There is heavy recoil to shooting a 12 ga and even more with a slug going down the barrel. But it is manageable. I would suggest that you do most of your shooting away from the shooting bench tho. I know many here might disagree with me on that but that is ok. I have found that after a very few shots from a benchrest to sight in the recoil gets to me. However when I shoot in the field or at the range offhand and sorta leaning into the shot I can shoot a lot more. You will get a kick out of shooting the 12ga.  :grin: (in more ways than one)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 04:36:26 PM »
Out of all the deer I,ve shot over the years not a single one was taken from a shooting bench. Acouple from a stand, but most off hand at fairly close range. Ist that a sabot type slug? I know breneke makes both but am not to familiar with them. I used to shoot thier foster typeslugs out of my smoothbore 870 slug barrel, but have never tried their sabots.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 04:30:08 AM »
I have the ultra deluxe heavy 20 ga. slug barrel.  The Tracker barrel is rifled I believe.  These barrels are desinged to shoot saboted slugs, not rifled slugs.  Sure, you can shoot them, but you will get much better results with a sabot slug I've found.  Some may disagree, but I'd stick to saboted slugs.  Best wishes, Ambush
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 04:08:02 PM »
Beefa, when I started working up my TrackerII,  I found that the Brenneke MP 1 oz slugs  grouped the very best of all the non-sabot slugs.

Recoil was tolerable, this is a 1 oz slug, INTENDED for rifled barrel.

When I was considering these as my choice, it took a while to find a possible low cost source, which turned out to be www.cheaperthandirt.com

You will probably find that they shoot very low with the factory sights as they come from the gun.

Shoot some. If you DECIDE :eek:  to make these YOUR slug, you will probably have to file the front sight down ( a TINY amount at a time) to raise point of impact (POI) to match point of aim (POA).

I finally decided on a Federal Classic sabot,  which at cheaperthandirt  is quite reasonable compared to store prices.....

Search my posts, and look at some of the things I've said regarding my slug load search.

If you get to try any of the Brenneke 1 3/8 oz magnum slugs, you may wish you had not bought so many boxes, even if you only bought 2! The recoil from those IS BRUTAL!!!! :shock:  And I even installed a mercury recoil reducer and had the barrel ported  at Mag-Na-Port!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:19:28 AM »
BEEFA, those Brenneke 1 oz. MP slugs you mentioned are my preferred slug out of my smoothbore H&R with either red dot or shotgun scope, whichever it happens to be wearing at the time. The "MP" dsesignatin (look at the picture behind the letters on the box)  indicate they are made for both rifled and smoothbore applications. They shoot better out of my smoothbore 12 gauge Handi than they do out of my Riffled Tracker II 12 gauge!!!

*****The recoil is much less than the Remington 1 oz. 2 3/4" green box slugs I shot them next to for comparison.*****

Those Brenneke's cut one ragged hole at 50 yards with a Simmons 30mm Red Dot and the recoil was much less than a regular 12 gauge load.

I highly reccommend them, especially for those who may be fearful of excessive recoil. If you shoot them along with some Remingtons and such you will immediately notice the difference in recoil. AND they will knock down any deer in these 50 United States!!!

For about $4.00 for a box of 5 they are not the cheapest on the market but far cheaper than sabots for $12.00 to $15.00 for 5!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doubletap

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 05:20:33 PM »
Although I haven't shot MP's from an NEF/H&R single shot, I have used them since they came out in my Marlin 120   slug gun.  They are _THE_ most accurate slug I've fired over 30 years of on and off slugging with various smoothbores.  Groups range from 3" 100 yarders to 150 yard groups right at the 6" mark.  Even at 175 they will stay in the chest of a life size deer target all day long.  
  Like the original Brenneke they are really hard for a slug.  Very little deformation of the slug as they penetrate.  Nothing on a whitetail will really mark them up much.  That big square shoulder really cuts a hole and judging from the last 30 some deer, creates a really hard, shocking, hit.
  The real improvement the MP made over the original Brenneke is the plastic base wad.  Like the original, the base wad is screwed to the slug, becoming an integral part of it and giving it a higher B.C..  The original used a felt wad with a hard wad base.  The MP uses a slightly oversize plastic wad.  The over sized wad must really center it up in a barrel, because the accuracy improvement is remarkeable.  These are really premium slugs for a smoothbore.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »
Dang it! Now I've gotta go buy some and try'em!
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 01:48:28 AM »
Markus, just a hint on those Brenneke 12 Gauge 2 3/4" 1 oz. MP slugs, they shoot better in my smoothbore than my Tracker II. come to think about it it could have been the scope I was using, will try them again in the Tracker II with a red dot....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley