Author Topic: I'm a baaad man!  (Read 608 times)

Offline Bikenut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I'm a baaad man!
« on: September 02, 2004, 03:41:46 PM »
I have a penchant for enticing unsuspecting shooters at the range into shooting at things they thought were impossible to shoot.... like on edge playing cards and cutting them in half... or kitchen matches. Quite often someone who tries these things gets hooked on target shooting and joins us "regulars" on shooting days. This habit of mine has led to my friends watching while I entice someone and chuckling while telling me... "Steve, you're a baaad man!"

Well, today I was again a "baaad man" when I enticed a father and his 2 young sons into shooting at playing cards and kitchen matches. The two boys had to do a bit of practicing.... but then started to cut those cards with their .22 rifle.... and pandemonium broke loose with those kids cheering each other, high fiving anyone within reach, and challenging ME to a card cutting contest!  :grin:  The father got into it too wanting to know which scope to buy to replace the crummy one on the rifle... which ammo is best... just so his kids could continue "trick" shooting.

To tell the truth.... I had as much fun watching and helping those kids as they had shooting the cards.

Yep, I'm a "baaaad man!"  :)
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 02:47:43 AM »
Bikenut - you're the kind of baaaaad man I'd like to see more of at my range................ Mikey.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 02:56:19 AM »
Good show Bikenut...the more shooters we have, the more voting clout we wield!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 12:50:19 PM »
Thanks Mikey and Ironglow.

Ummmmmmm... I was a "baaad man" again today... and my friend Dave jumped in and helped so he is also a "baaad man"................

An older father and his adult son came out to the range today just after I got there. I was still at the firing line and sticking kitchen matches into the top of the target frame so I could shoot a few. This led to a conversation about precision shooting which led to my offering to set up a few playing cards for them to try to cut in half. Both guys had very doubtful looks on their faces as I set up the cards. It appeared they might be thinking I was nuts. I then offered the use of my Anschutz .22.... The father sat down at the bench.... and cut a card in half with his very first shot..... the son took a few more shots than his dad but quickly had cut a card also.... Some good natured ribbing ensued between dad and lad about how dad got his with the first shot.....

Then there was more conversation during which I let slip that there was an Anschutz just like mine on the shelf at the local dealer....... (nope, I have no affiliation of any kind with the dealer). There was more conversation about AO scopes and ammo..... and Anschutz. Now both these guys are experienced hunters/shooters and have several firearms of varying calibers but neither had any idea a .22 could shoot that accurately. (Maybe I'd also better say I have no affiliation with Anschutz either and this is really not a commercial for them!) And they teased that they each should maybe go get one.... and spend more time at the range shooting relatively cheap .22 ammo with pinpoint accuracy....... and challenging both Dave and myself in a match lighting contest. Dave and I slyly accepted that challenge since we both enjoy shooting and we both want to get as many people out to the range as possible. More shooters = more fun = more new people = more shooters .... etc.. (Ummmm... neither Dave nor I think we are some kind of special super accurate trick shot artists either... we just love to shoot and share the fun of shooting.)

When these guys left for the day they were both talking about how they should stop in the dealers and see what kind of deal they could get on 2 new Anschutz rifles.............

Dave and I are "baaaad men!"  :grin:  :)

I hope these guys get their new rifles soon since Dave is starting up an informal, fun oriented, rimfire shoot (pistol and rifle) open to the public at the end of this month........

Let me say something about the gun club we belong to (I'll not name it since I don't think that would be acceptable on the forum but ya can pm me if interested in checking it out... Saginaw, Mi. area).......... Dave and I both are somewhat new members yet when I approached the Board with the idea of setting up a low tech Hogan's Alley and running a fun self defense shoot open to the public... and when Dave suggested to the Board a fun rimfire shoot.... we were very enthusiasticly supported in word, deed, and finances. Now I am of the opinion that shooting sports must have this kind of enthusiastic backing by involved gun club Board of Directors in order to help shooting and shooters grow.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 11:34:28 AM »
Yup; there is more fun per dollar in a .22 rimfire rifle than almost anything I can think of......
    ....And it crosses all generational, racial and gender lines
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 02:42:56 PM »
I really enjoy my 22s. I mostly plink with my model 60 Marlin. I found another good looking used one for $60 and  got it for my best friend. No matter how we tried, that rifle wouldn't fire more than 8 rounds without jamming. I cleaned, polished the chamber to no avail. Last Sunday after church we got the 22s out and I tried my plunger in his rifle, problem solved. Mine still functioned flawlessly with his plunger. Couldn't see any difference in tension, but both ends were slightly different. Now they both work. We like setting clay pigeons at various distances and shooting them, and then thepieces. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 04:57:52 AM »
You are a fine man Steve.

Dave :D
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
I'm a baaad man!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 09:20:19 AM »
22's are great you can shoot and shoot a lot. Lots of bang for the buck! My friend and I often sit out in his back yard and shoot or 22 pistols for hours. Trying to see who can shoot that grasshopper, or the head off the dandilions.