Author Topic: 1st Walmart Order  (Read 505 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
1st Walmart Order
« on: September 10, 2004, 12:30:58 PM »
Just made my first gun order from Walmart, a 12ga Turkey Pardner with the 24" screw in choke barrel.

I feel kinda sick about it. I had to walk them through the transaction based on information from this board. I also wanted to order the Topper Deluxe Classic but because it was not "in the book", the guy was dumfounded. I asked that he call their distributor to inquire on it and I was told  that I'd have to come back and speak with a manager and that he was out to lunch.

They didn't have any of the ammo I needed or any of the cleaning supplies. Obviously whoever does their stocking knows little of the shooting sports or hunting.

I went down to the "little guy" to get my ammo and I felt very guilty as I inquired about ordering the TDC from him. Of course he had all the ammo I wanted and called his distributor while I stood at the counter. He also informed me of some new benefits in joining a local sportsmans club (try getting that from Walmart) regarding some new facilities they put in.

I must say that with all this recent "nestalgia" talk, I'm quite surprised at he number of guys here who are going to Walmart to save 10% on an already cheap gun. I got sucked in by the lure of saving a buck, but I can tell you that if my deposit was refundable, I'd gladly cancel the order and spend an extra $20 at the "little guy".

We really need to think about supporting our local gun dealers and gunsmiths. They have to charge a little more to make profit as they aren't making the volume sale like Walmart. No gunsmith work is available through Walmart. What will we do when Walmart shuts down all the "little guys" and then decides its not "politically correct" to sell guns anymore?

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
1st Walmart Order
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:09:43 PM »
my point in that nostalgia post was that you can go anywhere in this country and buy the same gun at a cheap price and have fun with it like we did years ago.

i agree that i would rather buy from a "Real" gun dealer. and dont worry about wal mart running them out. there will always be a "little guy" out there looking to make a buck, and in a free market system like we have someone always is there to fill any vacuum. but yes, i would like to keep the little guys going as long as we can, because i too am sick of the "you mean 410 CALIBER???" i get when i go to the local Huge Mart, where MAYBE one person per 4500 square feet is always helpful and ready to tell you they "dont usually work in this section....hmmmm...."
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
1st Walmart Order
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 03:34:52 PM »
HuntenNut, now is the time to do it, Wal Marts nationwide company policy is that the deposit on guns is 100% refundable if you change your mind right up to the time you make the final payment!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
1st Walmart Order
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 03:52:15 PM »
I know exactly what you mean HuntenNut I recently bought my dad a versa pac from my wal-mart and the hassel I had to go through was ridiculous. I paid $131.00 and the local shop that I usually do business with wanted $200.00. At the time it seemed like a no brainer to buy it from wal-mart but in hind sight I wish I'd just have given the little man the extra. If I hadn't had access to all the advice on dealing with wal-martions on this sight I don't think I would have ever gotten the deal done there.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun