Author Topic: Smoothbore Tracker  (Read 657 times)

Offline crosscut

• Trade Count: (0)
Smoothbore Tracker
« on: September 08, 2004, 06:28:26 AM »
I recently picked up an older model 12 ga. Tracker. It has open rifle sights and a "Speed-feed" shell holder in the stock. It appears to be 100% original. What type of slugs would you recommend? I'm going to try a couple of brands of foster type slugs since they're cheap. Has anyone tried the Lee Cross-key slugs in a plastic wad in a smoothbore? The mold is inexpensive, it looks to be about the same shape as a foster slug.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Smoothbore Tracker
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 06:39:44 AM »
Crosscut, I highly recommend Brenneke 2 3/4" 1 oz. MP slugs. I have a H&R 24" smoothbore barrel with an added scope rail and 30mm Simmons red dot that shoots those slugs into one ragged hole at 50 yards. They shoot better out of my smoothbore than my rifled barrel. And at about $4.00 a box they are affordable....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Smoothbore Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 10:59:34 AM »
Crosscut,

Would you be interested in trading for a rifled barrel Tracker II?

I have 2 of them and wouldn't mind trading up to have one of each, a rifled barrel and a smooth barrel.

Offline Leftoverdj

Smoothbore Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:16:29 AM »
Loading homebrew slugs is the most frustrating project in handloading. If you are going to try it, the Lee is at least cheap. Despite what the instruction say, you can use wheelweight metal rather than pure lead. To do so, you need to get the mould, including the core pin, to casting temperature before you cast the first slug. I just dip the mould into the alloy long enough for no alloy to stick.

A uniform crimp is essential to slug accuracy and so is a smooth release from the shotcup. Extending the slits to the bottom of the cup helps. I've also tried adding some buffer to the shot cup to keep the slug from getting the wad stuck to it. I know that some wads do stick since I keep finding them at the base of my target. Wads that don't stick only make it about halfway.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline crosscut

Smoothbore Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 02:18:40 AM »
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the info.
MSP,
 I've ordered som Brenneke KO slugs to try. I haven't found the MP version yet.
Hunt,
I think I'll hang on to this gun for a while. It'll be fun trying to get it too shoot well. I want to shoot buckshot in it too.
Leftoverdj,
Thanks for the poop. I'm going to try several of the inexpensive slugs before I take up casting. I'll probably give it a shot eventually. I've got a 44 mag Marlin I'd like to cast for.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Smoothbore Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 02:45:24 AM »
crosscut, those "KO'"s are "knock-outs" also. Keep looking for the MP's. If you can't find them let me know and I'll do some research for you. I think I have just recently seen some on a website for $1.79 or $1.97 a box of 5!!! The pity is living in this "peoples Rebublic of KerryKennedychusetts" we cannot buy ammo through the mail, I can't even buy muzzlelozding balls thru the mail!!!. An FFL dealer or gun shop can't buy thru the mail either!!! Only a "distributor" can, then they add a markup!!! Boy-oh-boy, do I feel safer!!!  (NO!!!). Everyone get out to the polls this November, and if you going to be away at hunting camp, get an absentee ballot filled out!!!....<><.... :wink:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley