Author Topic: throat via fire lapping.  (Read 468 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
throat via fire lapping.
« on: September 12, 2004, 08:58:02 AM »
Okay, here's a question about a huckleberry way of doing something...

If I have a rifle that doesn't shoot cast bullets very well, and someone tells me that throating to a shallower angle 1-2degree will vastly improve my accuracy...  They also mentioned fire lapping, but the kits are kind of expensive.

What would happen if I was to paper patch a bunch of pure-lead, smaller diameter bullets in 400-600grit sandpaper, later progressing to 1200grit?

Am I sittin' too close to the lead pot?
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Fire lapping
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 12:51:24 PM »
Do not use sand paper.  It is out of the question.  Use lead bullets only with a compound on them.  Wait until you get the fire lapping materials.  If you already have the cast bullets, all you need is some compound from LBT and two flat pieces of metal to roll the bullets between with the compound smeared smoothly on the metal.

I have fire lapped a lot of barrels with one little container of lapping compound from LBT.  His stuff is the best.

Harold Clark

Offline Doctor Sam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
fire lapping
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 05:32:28 AM »
Instead of buying LBT steel plates I visited a local glass company and obtained two scrap pieces of thick glass plate.  The gentleman beveled the edges to prevent cuts and told me to come back to see them.  Works fine.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam