Author Topic: what ammo?  (Read 689 times)

Offline vsd79

• Trade Count: (0)
what ammo?
« on: September 10, 2004, 04:21:27 PM »
i just bought a remington model 7 in 7mm08. If anyone has the same rifle i am looking for ammo suggestions. It might help me narrow down the amount of ammo i have to buy for initial sight in. Any input would be appreciated.
thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
what ammo?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
I've been shooting the 7-08 for at least 25-30 years since I bought one of the original Model 7's chambered for it. My wife now uses it but my oldest son did for awhile also. In all those years it has never missed a shot on game and never required a second shot. It is the least accurate 7-08 of the several we've owned but it sure is up to snuff on game.

The only loads we've ever used have been the Remington 140 Core loct SP and the Hornady 139 SP light mag. I use the latter exclusively in my M700 LSS Mtn. Rifle. We've mostly used the Remington stuff in the wife's but when what she has is gone we'll go to the light mag as it is the most accurate ammo that rifle has ever fired bare none. I can't even find a reload to match it.

Buy you one box of each of the two Hornady Light Mag loads and one of the RP 140 and shoot them. Whichever is most accurate use it from now on. All are super on game.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

what ammo?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 03:41:11 AM »
I've shot over 80 rounds through my new Rem 7600 7-08. I've only shot the Remington 140gr load and it is accurate in my rifle. I posted about the same question a few months ago and the Remington 140gr load was praised by several posters. I don't have any field experience with it yet.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
what ammo?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »
A bit of a loaded question I think :wink:

A load that works for one gun is not a slam dunk that necessarily will work in all others even of the same model.  Like the above posts, I have had good success with the 140 gr Core-Lokt and also with the 120 Core-Lokt HP in regards to accuracy. I usually take 2 types of ammo with me when sighting in, normally one or both give me the results I am looking for. In the unusual event that does not do it, I double check my mounts etc before mortgaging the house and buying a ton of ammo of all different brands at the next session. A lot of folks try to rush the sight in process and get frustrated and frequently blame the ammo when in a lot of cases, it is something else entirely

Safe shooting.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
7-08
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 11:16:53 AM »
Is there much of a difference in recoil between the Light Mag and the core-lokt.  My son is a smallish kid, but I love the Hornady's in my other rifles.
Thanks,
Grubbs

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
what ammo?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 12:36:20 PM »
Perhaps but not that I can tell. Really the RP ammo is pretty warm stuff. It gets well over 2600 fps in a 15" Encore barrel. You're hard pressed to equal it with any book load in the Encore handguns.