Author Topic: My bullets  (Read 1555 times)

Offline moosehead

• Trade Count: (0)
My bullets
« on: August 09, 2004, 05:37:51 PM »
Since this is a bullet swaging discussion I thought id show off my muzzle loading bullets.  It is a .030 C-110 copper jacket...swaged w/pure lead...It should be a accurate, hard hitting beast.  .4520 dia. and 300gr.
SAMMI member

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
my bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 02:45:49 AM »
Hi moosehead :D
   Hello mossehead, nice looking bullets. Whats the grains of the bullet? What are you shooting them in? I personally dont like the sabots, they gum up my barrel too much. let us know how accurate they are.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 05:01:23 AM »
Im not crazy about sabots either.  Im brainstorming for an alturnative jacket to replace the nylon one.  That is a 300 grainer.  We are going to shoot them tomorrow.  The fella doing the shooting on this bullet is only going to load 100 grs in his 50 cal.  Im testing some  195 gr .357 bullets in my .45 cal. w/150gr of powder.  If they shoot well,  Im going to make some 180's and see how they shoot.
SAMMI member

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
My bullets
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »
moosehead:

I wasn't aware that it was possible to sabot .35 calibre bullets for .45 calibre guns.  Where are such sabots available?

Rick
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 12:03:09 PM »
MMP makes them.  You can get them from Cabela's.
SAMMI member

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
My bullets
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »
Thanks!
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
My bullets
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 10:17:49 AM »
moosehead -

Nice looking bullets.

I make a 300 grain Flat-point, from 1/2 X 0.035 inch copper tubing, but thinking about going up to 325 grains for my .45 LC. It too has good accuracy; I can cover four shots at 50 yards with a quarter. Was ready to go out to 100 yards when by back went on strike last month.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
My bullets
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 12:41:26 PM »
Hi Donna :D
   Nice looking bullet. It looks alot like mine, which happends to be .429 dia. and fired in my 444 Marling lever action. Mine is a 300 grain, and I make it out of 1/2 inch copper tubbing with the dies from Richard. I make mine round nose and flat point, but I only get 1 inch group at 50 yards for 3 shots. I`m happy with that though, because, where I hunt, it is really brushy, and 50 yards, is the maximum for deer.
   By the way Donna, what rifle were you shooting that in?

thanks
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
My bullets
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 10:09:07 PM »
Hello bullet maker, :D

No rifle, I shoot it out of my Single Action Revolver, Ruger .45 Long Colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. In my younger days I use to drop peoples mouths by consecutively hitting a 9-inch pie pan at 75 yards with my M1911 and splitting bolts (crossbow arrows are called bolts) with my 80-lb crossbow at 100 yards. I sure had fun in those days.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 04:49:23 PM »
Great bullet Donna!!!
I have scrapped the copper jacket and went with another material.  Im extremely pleased with the results.  Im going for a stronger design.  Something that will not fragment.  This is a pic of a .3996, 170gr bullet that I shot out of a .45 cal ML.   It was recovered from a black walnut stump.  It traveled 7in into the stump w/all 7in a destructive travel path.  I weighed the bullet afterwords and it measured 170 on the dot.  It should be a great big game bullet.  The thing I liked best was the fact that it has quick expansion but is also controlled and will not fragment.

SAMMI member

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
My bullets
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 10:47:11 AM »
Quote from: moosehead
...I have scrapped the copper jacket and went with another material.  ....

Tough, effective looking bullets.  What other materials have you played with?  

Material that won't fragment? Solids?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 05:45:21 PM »
That is C-260 brass.  After an anneal, the brass is much softer but, stronger than copper.   Ill tell ya...drawing brass is a whole different animal.
SAMMI member

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
My bullets
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 04:04:00 AM »
Hi moosehead :D

What is C-260 brass? Is it a refegeration brass? used on refegerators, (ice boxes),

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2004, 05:14:40 AM »
Its the same material we make cartridge cases from.  We get it in  big rolls.  Im not sure what the equivalent is.
SAMMI member

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
My bullets
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2004, 05:34:41 AM »
does it come in copper tubing and different diameters? and where do you get it from? address?

thanks

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2004, 01:02:20 PM »
Im not sure about the tubing.  Im sure you can get brass tubing, but it will be hard to work with.  We have to buy in bulk,  10,000 lb orders.  Its flat strip, .093  thick.    We draw them just like the cartridge cases.
SAMMI member

Offline Donna

• Contributor
My bullets
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 07:19:12 PM »
moosehead,

if it is from cartridge brass where's the yellow tent?

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 11:37:28 AM »
The first 2 pics are copper jacket.   The single with the mushroom are casing material.  I test fired the copper and didnt get the desired result so I change to the brass.
SAMMI member

Offline moosehead

My bullets
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2004, 11:49:40 AM »
Here is another pic of the bullets.  The one on the left is brass...Kinda tarnished.   The other is copper.
SAMMI member