Author Topic: Spots to hunt on these Aerial shots and Topo maps...........  (Read 591 times)

Offline rick james

• Trade Count: (0)
Spots to hunt on these Aerial shots and Topo maps...........
« on: September 14, 2004, 06:31:04 AM »
So this whole area is mostly unposted, so I have access to hunt pretty muchg the whole thing.  On the aerial, the areas in orange is areas that get hit HARD by other hunters, and the blue dot is where I think I am going to hike next week to check out.  There have been several HUGE bucks killed in this spot over the last 10 years, including the largest buck killed in the state in 93'.  It is some hard hiking there and some thick woods.  The dark spots are all pines, and the lighter areas are hardwoods.  Not many of the hardwoods are very mature though, mostly less than 50 year old hardwood trees.  

What do you think of the spot I picked on this map?  On the aerial it is the tiny blue spot in the middle of all the orange, on the topo, it is the area circled in red.  I really like the clear break from hardwood to pines to the west of the blue spot I picked, plus all the pressure around it from other hunters.  Any other areas you guys think I should look at on here?

Offline BowhunterNJ

Spots to hunt on these Aerial shots and Top
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:17:03 AM »
What's the predominant wind in the area?
Have you located any food sources?
Have you located any bedding areas?
What kind of access do you have planned to get to these spots?  Can you access for any/all roads?

If there is ALOT of hunting pressure around the edges you've highlighted, I'd be focused in on the thicker areas, especially near that creek running North and South just EAST of your scouting location.

Looks like some quality bedding in there, and deer love to hover into those creek crossings.  During the rut, and due to hunting pressure, I'm sure does are tucked back in there and bucks are running North and South along that creek edge scent checking the doe trails that cross it.

With no other info, that's where I'd be hanging...approaching from a downwind side and trying to use some sort of natural terrain to get in there and cover my approach.  If that creek is shallow, its an ideal entrance and exit way as you'll leave no scent and cross no trails.

If you can find a steep ridge leading up from the creek...that most deer won't use to climb...that's your best bet to getting up on that ridge top as the creek and ridge will mask your approach and your scent will blow out and over the ridge/creek.  Find a transitioning food source in between bedding areas up there and you should have a gold mine!  :grin:

Beyond that, in the early season, when the hunting pressure is light, you can hunt the exterior of the bedding areas leading to feeding areas, such as those fields...but if hunting pressure is an issue...those deer (especially wary, old bucks) won't be hitting those transition areas closer to the open food sources until night time so you are better off tucked back in some thicker cover ONLY IF you can get in there and out of there without alerting any deer.  If you can't do that...get as close as you can into protected cover without alerting them on BOTH your entrance and exit...and most of all...don't hunt it unless the wind is right!

Good Luck!

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:02:29 AM »
I would also try the other side of the stream from your current location. On the right near where it says 1500'. Looks like there are two dry or unmaped stream beds or ditches over there.

Offline rick james

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:31:47 AM »
Great suggestions guys, exactly what I was looking for.  Anyone else?

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 02:25:29 PM »
I like a handful of spots:

In between the word Cold and River you see the elevation 1558. Follow the dead end road out and you see a plateau and a ridge point just in the edge of the field. There is a neck of woods connecting the plateau and the ridge point. I could see a deer crossing there in between the large field and the small field. That elevation would allow a deer to scope out both fields with clear view while the neck of woods provides cover.

The other spot is to the right and North of the word Road on the ridge line the creek flows through. This is also a narrow strip of woods at the road crossing. I would place a stand around the bold outlined point.

Maybe another spot could be located above that ridge line to the North and right where you see 1700. To the right of 1700 you will see two separate places where points of elevation almost meat just North and to the Right of the opening thatÂ’s shaped like the Florida panhandle.

I also like the river bed in between the words Cold and River, South and to the left of your red circle. The river bed seems to go up and stop. The water way seems to jet out to the South and ends.

At the top right corner of the aerial photo there is a neck of woods stretched between two fields as well.

Heavily grown up fence rows are something to consider, also secluded areas where fencing is broken down makes easy crossings. The agriculture of the area and how much the landscape has changed since the photo will be good things to find out as well. I would also look for wood lines between hardwoods and pines (maybe buy a field) and old tree lines meeting up with younger tree lines, fire lanes etc.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Bob the Cynic

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 05:31:16 PM »
Couple of suggestions.  If the topo is accurate it doesn't look like there are any house on the north side of Cold River, but there are some between the river and the road.  Now you said that the orange areas get hunted hard.  In some of the more developed areas that I hunt, deer will move toward houses when pressured because they've learned that they are safe there.  So some deer may get pushed out of the lower orange area and stay down low along the river.  I would take a walk along the north bank of that river for a look see.  Also I would check out the area directly south of your red circle.  That broad ridge between the creek and the gulley to the east would be worth a walk through.  You might find something moving across the ridge or coming down the ridge into either the creekbed or that gulley.

Good luck.  Let us know how you do.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 03:46:38 AM »
I would definitely check out the hardwood ridge lying between the major and minor south-flowing streams that is SSE of your blue dot. It looks like this area is open enough to afford shots but still offer enough cover for deer to cross from one streambed to the other. The mixture of cover types also provides good browse, and possibly some acorns from some of the mature oaks, if there are any. This is what I call a cover tunnel: a swath of more open area between two areas of thick vegetation that deer are likely to cross between.

Another, and maybe better, spot I like is what looks like a confluence of about 4 minor ditches into the main stream right on the east boundary of your red circle. This is what I call a topographic funnel. I love this kind of setup. I would look for a good stand site on the south bank of the stream that gives you some elevation and affords a good view of as much of the drainage area as possible. Deer love to follow drainages, and here are about 5 that end up in the same 4 or 5 acre area. Dynamite!

The same sort of confluence, although on more minor drainages, occurs near the headwaters of the minor stream further south. This is about midway between the printed bold 1500 elevation and the river to the SW, just SW of the small white opening in the solid green on the topo map. Could be a good spot here with the same general strategy as #2 above.

In situations like this where other hunters may be able to access your area, I like to set up at least 3 locations so that if something goes wrong with one, I always have a couple more to fall back on. Ground blinds made with a few sturdy limbs stacked wooden-fence style in a semi-circle to give you a gun rest can be quickly covered with a piece of camo blind material on hunting days and a fold-up nylon chair can be packed in easily. Also a light, portable tree stand is good, but requires a more exacting set-up and usually more clearing to create shooting lanes. The camo tent blinds are also good, but I like a sturdy rest for my shots, which is tricky with the tents.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline rick james

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 03:50:52 PM »
Awesome suggestions guys.....much appreciated.  I grew up about 1 mile west of this place and killed a few does with a bow when I was a kid in the little hidden meadow to the far right of the map, but haven never hunted in the areas you all are mentioning.  I hiked through a few times as a kid, but it has been a while.  I can barely wait, Saturday I will be taking my .17 HMR for a walk in there to go build some blinds and pick out a few trees for a tree stand as well as plan my route to get in there and back out.  It is a rugged hike from the southern side, all uphill and the river but I think it will be worth it.  The best part about this place is that most of the pressure comes from the north.  From the south where I will be entering, you need at least hip waders to get in there and most people won't do that in the middle of november or hike up hill to the areas you all mentioned.  I have a large camo backpack that I usually pack my coveralls in with (so I don't sweat to death) that I can also fit my waders in if need be, it will be a long hike to get to those places but hopefully well worth it.