Author Topic: 7MM-08 What about it! ?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Sensei

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.usika.com
7MM-08 What about it! ?
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:41:28 AM »
I am trying to find a good deal on a 15"Stainless 7mm-08 Encore barrel.
I've looked over this site and bits and pieces are coming out on it as a great round,.. but not shooting out of anything less than the 15" barrel.

Let's hear more. :lol: please!!

I'm  pretty set on a 15' barrel before I start, but any input from folks that care to comment would be appreciated. Also don't forget if you know where I can fine one at a decent price,.. new if possible Thanks.
Sensei

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
7MM-08 What about it! ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:52:03 AM »
Sensei,

I think that 15"Stainless 7mm-08 Encore barrel would be an excellent choice.  A number of hunters around here believe that it is the perfect round for whitetail.  

I shoot a Contender chambered for the 7-30 Waters and would think that my favorite bullets for it would perform even better with more zip the 7-08 offers.  I use 100 grain Hornadys on ground hogs and 139 SSTs on whitetail.    The 7mm-08 would give you more range and allow you to go after elk which I wouldn't do with 7-30.   But I need to say that the Contender in 7-30 is perfect for my hunting needs.  

I do feel your pain with deciding on a chambering.  I wondered what I would do if I moved into an Encore.  Deciding between a .243, .260, 7-08, .308 or 30-06 might make me crazy but it would be a fun way to loose one's mind.  I guess I would just have to get one of each!

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline TCShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
7MM-08 What about it! ?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 03:33:51 PM »
Sensei,
I shoot a 15" 7mm-08 and love it.  Have never fired one in a shorter length but in the 15" I don't notice the recoil.  For deer I use 139gr. bullet and have shot this load anywhere from 40yds to 375yds. (checked with a bushnell yardage pro)  I love this round and am very confident in what it can do out of this gun.

And I second Ed's TC.  He probably has the best prices.  If you don't see what you want on his site just send him an email and ask for a price.  

Good luck.
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.