Author Topic: 20 GA Youth Pardner for MR DEER...help...  (Read 555 times)

Offline brown-trout

• Trade Count: (0)
20 GA Youth Pardner for MR DEER...help...
« on: September 19, 2004, 04:16:22 PM »
Just bought my 10 year old daughter her first firearm, a Youth Pardner 20 Gauge.  22" barrel, Modified Choke.
I got it primarily for her to use in the upcoming Youth Deer Gun  season here in Ohio.
I shot it today, couldnt hit dung past 20 yards or so (bead sight) ...at that distance i got about a 4" group shooting off hand...past that not even close...I've heard guys here say they used the bead sight to go effect.
Any ideas on how to make this a decent 40-50 yard smooth bore deer gun...i want her to have a shot at getting  a deer this fall.
thanks, brown-trout
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 02:41:09 AM »
Try some different slugs and shoot it off a bench, rest, or shooting sticks etc to make sure its the gun (no offense). I stongly suggest trying to find a slug it likes, I suggest  Brenneke MP's (!!!), Federals or Winchesters in the 20 gauge.
Another thing to do after you find the slugs it likes is have the barrel drilled and tapped for a H&R scope rail (I suggest the Ultra rail) and put a low power shotgun scope (with plenty of eye relief) or a red dot on it.
You do have a great deer gun there for your daughter if you put a bit of time into seeing what it likes to shoot (not MAGNUMS please!!!, your daughter will thank you and the deer will never know the difference) and perhaps inhance the sighting arrangement a bit, but that is not neccessary if your daughter is up to the task of shooting accurately....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline brown-trout

msp....
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 02:46:51 AM »
no offense taken at all...!!
=======================
i agree re. your comment on magnum slugs.....this bigger, better, harder craze is over the top if you ask me.....my 270 Win will do it all, as will a 20 ga. on Mr. Deer....I only wish i were as invulnerable as folks seem to be making animals out to be these  days!
=======================
brown-trout /  Ohio
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 04:23:25 AM »
BT, see my post in this thread - http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=37853

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun