Author Topic: 12 gauge tracker 2 recoil (help)  (Read 964 times)

Offline icthus153

• Trade Count: (0)
12 gauge tracker 2 recoil (help)
« on: September 16, 2004, 04:19:27 PM »
hey yall , i am new to the board and have a question. i have shot single shots for several years and i figured the tracker in 12 would be pretty stiff on recoil but my macho got the best of me. i am shooting 2.75 sluggers to try out but all i can shoot is 4 or 5 and i am done. it hurts like nothing i ever shot before. it even jumped out of my hand once and dang near took my nose off . is there any less recoil with saboted slugs in the 350 grain range? i am so shell shocked that my accuracy is non existent . if i cant find a better way to shoot i am going to sell it and get a 20 ultra slug. i am shooting standing up so i can roll with it but the recoil is so bad it gives me an instant headache. i am a big guy (245 lbs) but my tracker has got the best of me. what do i need to do? help
MY LIFE REVOLES AROUND 5 "F"S , MY FAITH ,MY FAMILY,FUR,FINS AND FEATHERS :wink:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 01:07:54 AM »
Try the Brenneke 2 3/4" 1 oz. MP slugs. They are inexpensive, light recoiling and accurate. My 12 gauge smoothbore shoots them into one ragged hole at 50 yards with a red dot sight. Not quite as well with my Tracker II but into a deers vitals easy....<><.... :grin:

by the way icthus153, WELCOME ABOARD :D !!!, your first post!!! This place is full of it.. ..   (  :)  ), good information, good help. and good friends and fellowship. I hope you stay around a bit and enjoy the talk, one suggestion,  DO NOT GO TO THE CENTERFIRE TOPIC "The president has signed the nationwide ccw police bill".  Nuff said....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 02:48:49 AM »
:grin: I had the same problem.......what I finally found to be most acceptable are the Winchester BRI sabot slugs in 3" and  2.75" and the Federal Classic Sabot in 2.75"

I wound up buying 2 cases of the Federal Classic Sabot, 2.75" on auction.
The recoil is quite tolerable, similar to 45-70, and accuracy is excellent with the Tracker II.
These are also the least expensive ot fhe sabots. Look at  cheaperthandirt.com
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 02:57:51 AM »
icthus153, also research both "recoil" and  "12 gauge recoil" or glance through the shotgun posts. Many here have posted ideas to lessen recoil from putting a roll of nickels in the bolt hole to special recoil reducers that all seem to work....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 04:14:44 AM »
Same thing with me and my 870 rifled barrel :-D .  I sold it to a friend and got the 20 guage ultra slug barrel for my handi.  I shot it for the first time last weekend using the Winchester Platium Tip loads.  All I have to say is wow, I love it, shot like a dream and I did not have a sore shoulder after 15 rounds :grin: (the clover leaf it left in the target at 75yds helped me love it even more).  I will save the shoulder beating for the 3.5 mags and turkey season.
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 04:42:12 AM »
Basically shot force - gun weight = recoil

I'd pull the butt plate off and fill the long stock bolt hole with something.  Lead shot, steel bar, quarters, etc before going to the range to sight it in and plink with it to learn your and your shotgun's limitations.  Then before season you can pull the weight back out or leave it in.  I have a steel bar from my ultra slug 20 I put in my 12 gauge pardner for shooting turkey loads and slugs at the range.  If I have a long day of walking ahead (deer drives) I pull out the steel bar the night before the hunt.  When shooting one or two shots full of adrenalin you never feel the recoil anyway.  

Last year deer hunting with my pardner 3 days I had the steel bar, 2 days I didn't.  The last day of season I hit a doe and never felt the shot.  I was full of adrenalin and the thick winter coat helped also.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 04:54:12 AM »
These guns are a little short for me (6'5"). So I bought one of those slip on recoil pads to extend the length of the stock. To my surprise it fits nicely, significantly reduces recoil, and although I wasn't a big fan before
of slaping something on my gun... I got used to it real quick!!

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 07:24:01 AM »
Haven't tried them yet but Lightfield has a saboted slug called the "Lightfield Light" which is a reduced recoil load. Since it is a sabot, you should get better accuracy in the rifled bore with no leading of the barrel.

I am getting a scope put on my new Tracker II, so I haven't fired it yet. I was planning on trying out those "lights" though. This will be a walking gun, so I am not concerned about the slight loss in flat range trajectory that the "lights" have. I shoot regular "lightfield commanders" in my Ultra which is a much heavier gun. Recoil is significant but tolerable in the 12lb Ultra, but I'm affraid to try them in the Tracker without adding some weight.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 07:33:11 AM »
Just a quick question icthus153, which stocks do you have on your Tracker II, synthetic, wood, or laminated? The synthetic stocks are the lightest and probably best for a walking around gun, you never feel the recoil when you shoot at a deer anyway. The regular wooden stocks are the next heaviest and the laminated are the heaviest. As Huntenut said if you increase the weight you reduce the felt recoil. You would most likely find someone here willing to swap almost any configuration stocks for another type if you post your needs and wait a while. Good luck....<><.... :grin:

Offline icthus153

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 01:30:34 PM »
MSP Ret   i have the standard ? wood stock with the factory recoil pad, i thought about the steel bar inside the stock and also the simms vibration labs recoil pad any thing to try to make it feel a little better. i sure appreciate all of the responses. i will try some of the suggestions before i swap guns. the way i figure it is it is better to put a small hole where you want it than a large hole where you dont.
MY LIFE REVOLES AROUND 5 "F"S , MY FAITH ,MY FAMILY,FUR,FINS AND FEATHERS :wink:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 02:20:37 PM »
icthus153, you are 100% correct of the importance of putting the slug where it should go, thats why I am against "Magnumitis". Please try the Brenneke 2 3/4" 1 oz. MP slugs before you give up. they cut a big hole and have considerably less recoil the 1 oz. Remington "Sluggers". If you can't locate any let me know and I will try to help. I saw them somewhere for purchase online for $1.97 a box!!! The pity is I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts (Kennedy/Kerry  :noway: ) and am prohibited from buying ammo through the mail!!!....<><....  :eek:

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 04:01:18 PM »
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 07:30:55 PM »
www.mercuryrecoil.com

I purchased one of their Mercury Recoil Reducers and installed in in the stock bolt hole on my 10GA NEF and it made a world of difference.  That same receiver also carries my Ultra Slugger 12GA barrel and it tames that recoil just as well...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 09:31:30 PM »
A Mercury Recoil Suppressor did the trick for me too.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2004, 12:31:04 AM »
Offhand35 and others, The Brenneke and Rottweil MP slugs are the exact same slugs in the same packaging. Sort of the difference beyween GM and Chevrolet or Crown Vic and Ford....<><.... :grin:

Offline Doubletap

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2004, 11:38:31 AM »
Shooting technique may help you out too.  Bigger fella's seem to take it on the chin (no pun intended) from recoil worse than smaller guys.  If you're mainly a shotgunner you are probably facing the gun a bit square, like you would shooting birds.  Rotate a bit right, shoot across your body, if that makes sense.  
  The left hand can be a tremendous recoil reducer.  Grab a fistful of gun, foreend and barrel if your hand is large enough.  Control the gun with the left hand, holding the gun back and down.  You can really cut the perception doing that.
  Lastly, let your lower back relax.  Let the recoil push your upper body, keep the cheek weld, and let your body roll just above the hips.  
  It takes some practise, but when you finally get it, even lightweight 458's aren't too bad for the first couple boxes offhand.
  Off the bench, get a bag of shot and put the butt on this, then the shot to your shoulder.  25 pounds of added gun weight does something for recoil.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 02:52:56 AM »
Good recommendations Double Tap...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense