Author Topic: Handi Switcheroo "Completed"  (Read 558 times)

Offline Buffalogun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handi Switcheroo "Completed"
« on: September 30, 2004, 02:22:12 PM »
Hi All,

Like the title reads, I have made the switch. I switched the stocks between my Handi Synthetic .45-70 and my new Survivor HB .308. I am impressed with this set-up and here's why:

1. Not having ever held a Survivor, I didn't realize how the Survivor forearm would allow for a much better grip than the std. synthetic forearm. Big Plus!

2. I also didn't realize the Survivor forearm is free-floated from the far end down to the attachment screw. Big Plus!

3. Since the forearm is easily removable by hand, it would be easy to remove the forearm and barrel for cleaning, while in camp. Big Plus!

4. Since the .308 HB and the .45-70 barrel appear to be the same contour, this would allow me to take both barrels to camp and make the switch from short range to long range. etc. in a matter of minutes(as long as the .45-70 barrel locks up OK). Big Plus!

5. By switching the stocks, I can take advantage of the recoil pad on the conventional stock for use on the .308. The Survivor stock has no recoil pad. Big Plus!

6. My original reason for the switch was to arrive at a short barreled, accurate, knock-around rifle chambered to a round that is suitable for taking Whitetails out 300-400 yds. "I am up to the task"! Big Plus!

All my ideas for this rifle have been met, except for the accuracy. Won't know about that until I've been to the range. However I ran 10 lap-bullets through it this afternoon.
I picked up a box of Winchester 150g Super X CXP 2's and pulled the bullets for a quick supply of brass. These cartridges appear to be loaded with about 44.7g of a powder that looks like H380 or WW760. Anyone know for sure?

Thought you'd like to know,

Buffalogun 8)
Don't worry about the mule..........just load the wagon!

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Handi Switcheroo "Completed"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 05:58:27 PM »
BG,

The powder is probably a non-cannister powder that isn't available to the general public.

I have found the 12 gauge forearm to offer the best float for all rifle barrels.  It doesn't matter to me how much excess there is, as long as everything I mount floats.

Good to hear things are working out the way you want!  :)