Author Topic: Wolves killed  (Read 971 times)

Offline crow_feather

• Trade Count: (0)
Wolves killed
« on: July 26, 2004, 05:16:45 AM »
I read in the paper that a pack of Idaho wolves was killed by a government hunter because they were killing sheep.  I can't figure it out.  Why is the government paying for something that thousands of people will do for free.

imagine, killing sheep, who would have thought that wolves would kill sheep.  

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Wolves killed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 02:08:33 PM »
People got rid of most the wolves for a reason.  But some people don't seem to understand that.  So now they have introduced them where I live and they are killing everything they can sink their teeth into.  Of course now our state DNR is denying that they introduced them even though a few years ago they were going into school classrooms telling all the kids what a great thing they had done!  I hate em. . . the wolves that is.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline crow_feather

Wolves killed
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 03:52:28 PM »
I didn't like schools much either.  

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Wolves killed
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 09:29:14 PM »
You think the wolves are bad now?  Just wait, you aint seen nothing yet.  I speak from experience.  In 1992 wolves moved into my favorite hunting area in the Alaska Range.  In one year they wipped out the Caribou, I watched as they would chase one animal then rip it's belly open.  When the Caribou stopped running, with it's intestines hanging out they would move on looking for another, leaving that one standing there dying.  Unfortunately this was taking place on the ridge tops in the winter time.  No snow on the ridge tops so we could not take the snow machines and go after them, they ran too fast to chase them on foot.  In 1994 the state elected an enviromentalist Governor (Tony Knowles) that stopped all areial wolf hunting.  For the next 8 years the wolves wipped out the moose around several villages in the interior.  Their numbers have skyrocketed, and when we mention hunting them or cutting back on their numbers the environmentilist groups (Friends of Animals, and PETA) get court injunctions to stop it.  When our new Governor finally beat the Court Injunctions and we started reducing their numbers the environmental groups are now placing a boycott on Alaskian Tourisim, and Alaskian products.  By the way, according to a biologist friend of mine, it takes 17 Moose to feed a wolf for one year.  How many sheep, cows, or horses does that equate to?  Oh Yes!  Watch out for your dogs too, they like to kill and eat dogs.  Given the right circumstances, I feel that a pack might attack people, not a lone wolf, but a pack.  I've had packs follow me in the woods till they realise I'm carrying a gun, then they disappear.  I have actually had a pack running to intercept me while trying to get back to the truck on a lonely mountain top.  They only stopped when my girl friend hit the leader with a 150 yard shot, when they were less than 20 yards from me.  After that I swore I'd never be without a gun again.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline crow_feather

Wolves killed
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:38:05 AM »
I have heard that the survival rate for calf elk in Yellowstone went from 60% to 2%.  It is only word of mouth, but something that I believe is possible.  When the elk herds get too small, there will be no hunts allowed.  I sometimes wonder who was really behind the reintroduction of the wolves.

And yes, we have had dogs attacked and killed near town.  One wolf got the dog to charge, then the rest of the pack jumped the dog.  At least you can shoot em up there without going to prison for several years.

CF

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Wolves killed
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 09:25:54 PM »
You know our forefathers weren't stupid, there was a reason they tried to get rid of the wolves, and cougers.  In a few years some of the folks who live in the rural areas will understand and agree with their philosophy.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline luv45

Wolves killed
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 07:11:44 AM »
Quote from: crow_feather
I have heard that the survival rate for calf elk in Yellowstone went from 60% to 2%.  It is only word of mouth, but something that I believe is possible.  When the elk herds get too small, there will be no hunts allowed.  I sometimes wonder who was really behind the reintroduction of the wolves.

And yes, we have had dogs attacked and killed near town.  One wolf got the dog to charge, then the rest of the pack jumped the dog.  At least you can shoot em up there without going to prison for several years.

CF

Crow_Feather, what part a Idaho you from? I live in the Island Park area. The wolf problem is bad hear. I think you are close on the 60% to 2%.

Offline crow_feather

Wolves killed
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 08:58:54 PM »
luv45,

The Island Park News had the article about 34 out of 41 banded elk calves killed in the park from bears, cats and wolves.  I live North of Ashton on the Ashton hill.

C F

Offline insanelupus

Wolves killed
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 05:40:15 AM »
I come from a farming/ranching background in the Midwest, and currently live in Montana.  I know about the problems with livestock and predators and have witnessed the destruction a wolf pack can do.  But I have to admit, I enjoy seeing them out on occasion.  The problem with the wolf problem seems to me that each side is all or nothing.  I don't want a huge wolf pack, and I'll readily admit we have too many wolves, and grizzly bears at present as well.  My idea, instead of trying to wipe them out entirelly, let's control the poplation with hunting.  Montana is trying to get both delisted and resume draw hunts to thin the numbers down.  I'd be the first in line for those tags I'll tell ya.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask."