Author Topic: cast bullets for a .405  (Read 496 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
cast bullets for a .405
« on: September 16, 2004, 06:23:22 PM »
i'm gonig to start building a custom .405 soon and and due to the availabilty and cost of jacketed bullets, i've decided to use cast for plinking and targets and save the jacketed round for hunting. are there .405 molds available? if i have to have to have a custom one made what is the best weight and bullet type? if it matters they'll be fired thru a douglas barrel on a rebuilt No.4 Lee-Enfield. also are there gas checks available for this caliber?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline The Shrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
cast bullets for a .405
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 02:09:13 AM »
Veral Smith (LBT) will make you one of your choice in weight and nose design in .412 that a .416 gas check will fit.  

I'm currently buying them in 350 grain and shooting them in my 1895 Win. with acceptable accuracy.  I'm saving for a couple of things, this mold among them!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
cast bullets for a .405
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 05:15:26 AM »
Hey kevin are you going to be building the 405 off of an enfield action and are you going to re-barrel or re-bore.  When I heard about this possible conversion I immediatly regretted selling of my p14.  That leaves only 1 gun in my life that I have yet to regret selling.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline kevin.303

cast bullets for a .405
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 08:47:08 AM »
rebarrel with a douglas precision barrel.they'll cut the threads and tturn it down for less than $300 US. main reason for the .405 is you don't have to alter the bolt face.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
cast bullets for a .405
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 10:17:12 AM »
You may have to widen the front of the mag too, but I only ever have read about this conversion.  I'd also swap out the steel butt pad for somthing rubber :lol:

Let us know how it goes, it sounds entiry too cool.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
cast bullets for a .405
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 01:25:04 AM »
My 1895 Win has a steel buttplate, and shooting it with a Pact pad isn't bad at all.  I don't imagine the few shots I will take at game will really be noticable, but the bruise may linger!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline 86fan

.405 Rebuild
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 04:43:02 PM »
My brother did this several years ago with a very rough .30 US carbine. All it took was a new barrel and wood and he got a very nice rifle out of the deal (Work was done by Dennis Olson in Plains Montana). The speer 210 grain .41 mag JSP makes an excellent/inexpensive plinker (or even medium game) bullet. Ken Waters pet loads book has quite a bit of info on the .405. 86 Fan

Offline GR

cast bullets for a .405
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 02:18:21 AM »
Have a look at Mt. Baldy's web site.
They make an awesome 300gr .412 bullet for the .405.