Author Topic: .270 win for elk??  (Read 1654 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
.270 win for elk??
« on: September 02, 2004, 05:38:08 AM »
i was looking at the ballistics in the 2004 winchester catalog and saw the acubond and the partition gold both have enough power for elk out to 300 yds. (1700 ft/lbs at 300 yds). witch bullet would you pick for elk out to 300??. after seeing this im thinking about getting a NEF handi-rifle stainless .270 for elk and black bear. what do you think???
P.S both bullets are 150 gr
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 03:13:38 PM »
Hi there. I haven't personally hunted bear or elk...nor have I owned a .270. But from what I've heard, 150 grains will do the job on a bear...I dunno bout an elk....u might wanna try 180 grains for that. You might just wanna use a 180 grain load all around for bear and elk (just to be safe...them bear don't like the sight of u after u wounded of em :)  :-D ). I recommend the Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra 180 grain load. Good luck and good hunting! :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 04:41:56 PM »
for some thing like bear or elk i would go with the partition over any thing for deer or longer shooting on light skin i would go with the acubond

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 06:26:14 PM »
Quote from: buckslayer
I'm thinking about getting a NEF handi-rifle stainless .270 for elk and black bear. what do you think???

If you are going to get a Handi Rifle "just for" Black Bear and Elk, why not go ahead and get the 30'06?

The .270 will do the trick, and according to all the expansion/penetration tests the Remington CORE-LOKT ULTRA Bonded would be a great choice for Black Bear but Remington does not load the .270 in anything except 140gr. which would be fine as long as you stuck it in the kill zone, which is the case with anything....
If I had to choose between Partitions and Accubond I would go with the Partitions...one of my Kin killed an Elk with a Sako .270 using a Federal Premium 140gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, so maybe consider them???
Hornady .270 Light Magnum 140gr. BTSP Interlock gives 1982 ft.lbs. at 300 yards according to the paper...

Quote from: Fishman029
u might wanna try 180 grains for that. You might just wanna use a 180 grain load all around for bear and elk I recommend the Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra 180 grain load.

Who loads 180gr. .270's???? Or even makes a 180gr. bullet in .277 diameter???

Stay Safe. Happy Hunting/Shooting. :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline JPSaxMan

.270 win for elk??
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:48:25 AM »
7Mag,
      I believe Remington now makes their Core-Lokt Ultra in 180 grain .270. I'm pretty sure I saw right (but I might have slipped to the next column  :roll: ). I'll double check just to make sure.
 :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 04:23:27 AM »
I believe Barnes is the only bullet maker that makes an over 160 grain bullet in .277" diameter. They make their Barnes Original in 180 grains I believe. But I'm pretty sure it is a round nose normal cup and core bullet. No one that I am aware of loads anything over 150 grains in factory ammo.

Jack O'Connor killed a whole buncha elk with his .270 Win. Best as I can recall he always used the Nosler 130 PT. I've seen some claims he used the 150 PT but that's not what I remember from his writings in Outdoor Life.

While I've never killed an elk I'd likely use the Nosler 150 PT or 160 PT in handloaded ammo should I do so with a .270 Win.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 05:26:07 PM »
In his book "The Hunting Rifle" Jack O'Conner mentions killing an el at three hundred yards using a 150 grain Speer Spitzer.  Pick a 150 grain pointed bullet and avoid hitting shoulder bones and you will get elk.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 01:21:49 PM »
I work witha guy that was born and raised in Montana. He has a custom light wieght  mountain rifle chambered in 270 win. This is his back-pack rifle for elk hunts in the Montana wilderness. He tells me that the 270 win is an easy 300 yard elk gun with a 150 grain load. This guy has taken many an elk with the 270.

As far as the 270 for bear. If we are talking the typical black bear like we have eat of the big river, you will do just fine. 270 is a great cartride and has accounted for many a black bear kill in Maine, Wisconsin & Pennsylvania. I can speak for these areas.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 07:53:16 AM »
Winchester supream has 180 grain in .270 also the cx2's and 3's have it in 180 the cx1's only go to 150...Ive killed 3 so far with my 700bdl .270 using the cx3's first one was a little over 220yrds second was right at 200 and the last one was 85 yards...All three were pass throughs with fantastic expansion quick and clean...Hit the second one in the shoulder and had no problem.....270 is a great cal and if you do your job it will do its job with quick clean kills...Good luck to ya
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »
What is the source of your information saying Winchester loads 180s in the .270 Winchester? I think you're thinking of the .30-06.

Here is the full list of what Winchester loads from their website taken rat now.

S270CT    270 Winchester    140 gr. Supreme® AccuBond™ CT®

S270X    270 Winchester    140 gr. Supreme® Fail Safe®          

SBST270 270 Winchester    130 gr. Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip®      

SHV2704  270 Winchester    150 gr. Supreme® Power-Point Plus®      

SHV2705   270 Winchester    130 gr. Supreme® Power-Point Plus®      

SPG270    270 Winchester    150 gr. Supreme® Partition Gold®      

X2703    270 Winchester    130 gr. Super-X® Silvertip®    

X2704    270 Winchester    150 gr. Super-X® Power-Point®      

X2705    270 Winchester    130 gr. Super-X® Power-Point®    

Again I say I know of no bullet maker anywhere other than Barnes that makes a 180 grain .277" bullet and it is the Barnes Original.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 04:10:02 PM »
Greybeard,
Love ya brother but my source it the 3 boxes of winchester supreme sittin right here with me...... Silvertip cx3's in 180 grain....Havnt bought them in a couple years since I got 10 boxes when I bought the gun and found out she liked um....they May not still have them but I am lookin at them right now my brother.... I also have the 150's in cx2 for whitetails and they do a serious hurt onna deer..I have learned one thing about this online stuff....Sometimes manufacturers dont put all they have online for some stupid reason...Like Hornady dont put out that they have the 300 grain bullets for the .444 marlin yet my brother has 200 of them just waitin to load up for deer season.(we hunt alot of heavy brush in case you are wonderin why such a heavy load) A little calling around will do you alot better as far as findin out what they really have...Cant figger out myself why they just dont put it on the site since it wouldnt cost them any more anyway...But to answer yer question Grey...Like I said...Got the rounds right here in front of me....Dint tink I was goin that dang senile yet...lol :wink:
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 03:21:11 AM »
buckslayer why not just use your 280 its a great round for elk. with the longer barrel it would out preform the 270.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 06:54:58 AM »
Hey guys I just found the site and registered.  Whatever calibur you choose with elk the most important thing is shot placement.  Last november my dad hit a spike bull at about 110 yards in the front shoulder (fatigue caused him to pull the shot) and when the shot went off the herd panicked preventing a follow up shot.  They followed the herd till it went down into the John Day River canyon and off the property.  That spike was in the rear but with the herd still.  When the herd came back up later that day he wasn't with them.  Down there its public land and the herd got shot into, so its safe to say someone took him home.  The bullet was 180 grain (don't remember which type) but it blew up on the shoulder bone and failed to break the animal down.  The bullet/powder combo was more of a mulie load but regardless elk are tough sob's.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 12:32:31 PM »
What caliber was the 180 ?
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline JPSaxMan

.270 win for elk??
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 01:17:54 PM »
Dang nab it, I was wrong again :? . There are no factory loads (current) that is made in the 180 grain .270. I could have sworn Remington made it in one of their lines of ammunition, guess not. Good luck with those elk!  :D
JP

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »
Quote from: cabin4
What caliber was the 180 ?

err oops, sorry.

.300 win mag.

Offline crow_feather

.270 win for elk??
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2004, 01:11:07 PM »
It is always nice to have the perfect shot and drop your elk without it knowin that your there.  And if you have the days to hunt until that perfect shot comes along, all should go well.  The problem is that many people pick the rifle for the perfect shot and then take the bad shot with bad consequences.

The last elk I dropped with my 338 had a 150 grain 277 diameter bullet through its lung and behind the skin on the far side.  The other hunter had shot at the elk from about 200 yds.  The elk had run two hundred and fifty yards and gave no sign of being hit when it ran in front of my 338 which ended the run on the spot.  

There was no blood trail and to the other hunter, the shot appeared a clean miss.  Now that is only one experience, but since the shot appeared a miss, how many misses really are hits?

If you were going to feel pain in some part of your body for the rest of your life because you failed to cleanly dispatch the animal you were shooting, you would be squirrel hunting with a 458.

Carry the most you can shoot well, don't carry what is minninum, and don't believe everyone that says they have killed all their elk with one shot from a 22-250.  They aren't going to brag about butchering a shoulder and loosing the animal.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
.270 win for elk??
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »
The 270 will take elk cleanly with either the 130 or the 150. The 140 works just as well. I have had several 270's right now I am using the NEF 280 with the 26 inch barrel.
shot placement is everything.