Author Topic: 12ga recoil suppression  (Read 725 times)

Offline whacker

• Trade Count: (0)
12ga recoil suppression
« on: September 26, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »
I've been looking through the NEF/H&R shotgun forum and couldn't find a thing about recoil suppression with a 12ga. If anyone as tried anything at all please let know my shoulder will thank you. 8)

HAVE A GREAT DAY :D
you have to shoot good, to eat good 8)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 11:11:50 AM »
This is a regular topic of discussion since you are reminded of it every time you pull the trigger on a Topper or pardner 12ga. Some of the solutions have been adding wieght to the bolt hole in the stock, adding weight to the forearm, and the mercury recoil supressor. There has also been high praise for the limbsaver recoil pad. You can always get a slip on pad as well. More costly options would be back boring , lengthening to forcing cone and porting. Another thing might be the reduced recoil  loads or simply not using mag loads when they're not a necessity. The addition of wieght to the stock seems to be a common and successful fix. My favorite wieght was the use of rolled nickels, But I think the most common is the use of shot.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 02:28:32 PM »
I made a home made recoil pad for my 12ga Pardner which just had the but plate. I took and old mouse pad and cut several layers the same size as the but plate and rubber cemented the whole thing together.

Its ugly, but it works for the heavier field loads I shoot.

I don't shoot any magnums from this gun, so the pad is good enough for me.

I just got a 12ga Turkey which I am sending out for backboring and forcing cone work, and will also use a ported choke tube. I want to keep the gun somewhat light, but might add a small mercury suppressor if needed.

Offline whacker

12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 03:22:49 PM »
Markus, what and how were the forearm wieghted I've been racking my brain. thanks

HAVE A GREAT DAY :D
you have to shoot good, to eat good 8)

Offline icthus153

12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 06:19:58 AM »
whacker, check my post several days ago called tracker 2 recoil help, all the advice given was good and the steel rod with the shell holder on the stock helped me alot
MY LIFE REVOLES AROUND 5 "F"S , MY FAITH ,MY FAMILY,FUR,FINS AND FEATHERS :wink:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 09:04:01 AM »
whacker, I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this but I believe those that added weight to their forearms were using the "Storearm" forearms which comes with the "Survivor" model and can be purchased separately from H&R. It has room inside for survival supplies, ammo, or in this case, added weight....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 04:36:39 PM »
As MSP say's the storearm forearm is the easiest way. I wish I could remember who's idea this is because I don't deserve credit for it. Pour some melted lead into the appropriate size nuts cut a notch in the top, then drill some matching holes in the forearm(being careful not to drill through it) and simply srcew them in. If you cast bullets and know how to deal with molten lead I'm sure this is easy. That's a bit ambitious for me. If I felt the need to wieght the forearm I'd probably hollow it out with a dremel dump in some lead shot and seal it with some silicone.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
12ga recoil suppression
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 03:23:34 AM »
If you have a table mounted router, it would be easy to cut a slot the length of the forearm under the barrel, without cutting through the screw whole area.

This would give plenty of room to add lead shot and could be sealed in with hot melt, epoxy, etc. Duct tape might also work if you want the weight to be removable.