Author Topic: Only in San Francisco  (Read 672 times)

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Only in San Francisco
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:41:59 AM »
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - If Robert Haaland wins a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors Nov. 2, he will be make history as the nation's first transgender elected official.

An activist who once sued city police for groping him to determine his gender identity, the 40-year old Haaland was born and raised as a female in Austin, MN. He declared himself a lesbian at age 20 and began to identify as a man after attending the University of California, Berkeley and Hastings Law School.

While transgender candidates have run for office in San Francisco and never won, Haaland is considered a front-running Democrat in the race to represent the city's Haight Ashbury district. He's won the backing of several of the city's top elected officials, including District Attorney Kamala Harris and Supervisor Tom Ammiano. Mayor Gavin Newsom is supporting a more moderate Democrat.

A win would be historic "and a little scary," Halland said.

"When you put yourself out there, it's a little nerve-racking. But it's definitely something I'm comfortable with," he said.

Internationally, a member of the New Zealand parliament is believed to be the only current transgender officeholder.

27 years after Harvey Milk became the nation's first openly gay elected official when he was elected a San Francisco supervisor, many Democratic leaders here say Haaland's win would be a comparable milestone.

"There are parallels, certainly," said Ammiano, who is gay. "The institutionalized prejudice and ignorance around the issue make his run very, very significant. A win would be even sweeter."

Haaland is one of 22 candidates running for the seat, but his strongest opponents are an HIV-positive gay African-American and two Green Party activists. The winner will replace Green Party member Matt Gonzalez, who decided not to seek re-election to the board after losing a close race for mayor last year.

Gun Runner

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Only in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 03:39:21 PM »
UHHHHHH, a dumcrap you say? Why am I not surprised. POWDERMAN.  :P  :P  :P  :P
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Only in San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 04:55:42 PM »
My God when are the people of Kommifornia going to wake up. This kind of stuff makes me want to puke.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Gun Runner

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 05:21:07 PM »
What P---"s me off is people like haaland, boxer, fienstien, roberti ( who stated he's only a little gay), there all from  someplace else. They move out here with thier big money and start their wedge into the system. I live in the high sierras near donner summit and the nice thing about this whole county its almost all Republican. Few dumcrats wineing about the locals having no class by voting Rep, my usual ans. is move back to the Gay area or L.A, or out of the country.
I cast my ballot fri (where I mysel live there's no polling place, cept trees rocks, couple streams) You can bet if it said democrap it dint get marked.

Gun Runner

Offline Dali Llama

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:50:05 PM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
What P---"s me off is people like roberti ( who stated he's only a little gay)
Do that be somewhat akin to being "a little pregnant," ask Dali Llama? :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Only in San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:59:53 PM »
Gunrunner-I have been thru Donner Pass a few times when I was still driving a truck. My God, it's beautiful country up there. Gives a whole new meaning to God's Country. This just goes to show what I have been trying to tell people, the polititions don't really care much about the rural area's because they know all they have to do is carry the vote in the big cities and they can carry the whole state. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline magooch

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 03:20:45 AM »
The fact that things like this Haaland might get elected, speaks volumes about the population of San Francisco
Swingem

Offline Dali Llama

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 01:16:53 PM »
Quote from: magooch
The fact that things like this Haaland might get elected, speaks volumes about the population of San Francisco
Yes, it do indeed, concur Dali Llama. :(  :(  :(

Offline Gunsmoke

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 06:35:33 PM »
There is indeed a bunch of sick perverts running rampant in our country and a sicker bunch of people that will vote for such perverts.
"Those that would trade liberty for security, deserve neither". Ben Franklin

Offline Dali Llama

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 01:58:38 AM »
Quote from: Gunsmoke
There is indeed a bunch of sick perverts running rampant in our country and a sicker bunch of people that will vote for such perverts.
Such "preverts" (as Archie Bunker used to refer to them :) ) would prefer to have sympathetic and supportive politicos in high office to impose their beliefs and lifestyles upon ALL of us, surmise Dali Llama.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Only in San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 03:15:31 AM »
Hay Gun Runner - why doncha invite'm all up to the pass some snowy winter's day, for ummmmm, dinner (lol).  Mikey.....

Offline Gun Runner

Only in San Francisco
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 05:43:23 AM »
Mikey, they might prefer the san francisco type dinning better.   :)
Dont want to contaminate(sp) the high country with all that trash.

Gun Runner