Author Topic: How consistent can cast bullets be?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Willyp

• Trade Count: (0)
How consistent can cast bullets be?
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:37:46 AM »
I fool around casting bullets! I've got the urge to shoot my 308 at the local Bench Rest match. Could I/should I try this??????? I need to hit a half inch circle or just cut the line,to get 10's.
Sugestions needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Willyp

Offline Brian T

• Avid Poster
accurate loads
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 07:30:48 AM »
Join the Cast Bullet Assoc--do a google and you can find them.  Great source of technical info on casting and shooting, well worth the $$

what I would do

cast a bunch of bullets

Weigh them and sort out to +- 1/2 grain 1 grain max

size and seat GC

heat in oven at 400 for 30 minutes

dump into a big tub of icewater

lube and load

experiment with OAL;  try seating so the bullet lightly engraves the rifling

lots of trial and error involved to get the best shooter

shoot no faster then 1700 or so

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 01:55:20 PM »
First, you have to clean the bore of all copper fouling before getting a cast bullet to perform. Brian T gave you some very sound advice so that is a platform to start from. The lube is important and will allow you or prevent you from reaching acceptable velocity. I use Lee's liquid alox and have reached 2,000 fps with two coats of it. Good luck and yes, you should try shooting cast bullets. It will open up a new door in rifle reloading for you.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 01:58:27 AM »
Well, CBA 100 yard records are running around 1/4 inch so it can be done. But you will need to have the rifle set up for cast bullets, use a good mould (Like a Egan MX4-ARD), use a bump die to fit the bullets precisely to your rifle's throat, use top quality lube like Gray's #24, etc. It's no big trick to get 1 inch 100 yard groups with a decent rifle, but consistant half inch groups are going to take some work. But it can be done.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline joeb33050

How accurate?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 02:31:50 AM »
To touch a circle of .500 diameter with 30 caliber bullets you need a group of .8 ( .5 +.3) perfectly centered.
At the CBA nationals in Charlotte NC, this year, 2004, the 100 yard 5 shot group match of 4 groups per shooter, had an AVERAGE group size of .874 for all categories. The Production rifle average was 1.042.

If you can AVERAGE an honest inch for five shot groups at 100 yards, you'll beat the average shooter in production class, and on a good or lucky day, you'll be well up there in the rankings.

The plain base bullet class = single shot old time rifle shooters, there were four of them, averaged .848 for four 5 shot groups each. These without heat treating bullets, at slower velocities, without gas checks even. Lotsa bucks in the guns maybe, but this shows that careful loading with right components can do the job without high tech high velocity loading.

There were 5 aggregates = averages under .500 inch out of 39 shooters. One in HEAVY class, one in plain base bullet class, and 3 in Unrestricted = rail gun class. It's hard and unlikely to shoot under .5" averages. There's a lot of wind doping and slick luck involved.

Go slow, cast good bullets, keep good records and read all you can find.
It ain't hard, and it ain't complicated.

joe b.

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Cast bullets in a 308
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 02:00:59 PM »
Willyp,  what bullet molds do you have.  What is the brand and type of your rifle.

I shoot a lot of cast bullets out of a 308 CZ rifle and a 308 15" Thompson Encore.  The Encore will pring under 2" at 200 yards with a very nice light load of 13 gr of IMR SR 7625 behind a Saeco #315 (173 grain GC bullet) cast from 3 pounds of wheelweights and 1 pound of Linotype.

In my rifle, I used 27.5 grains of Reloader 7 with the same bullet.  I size the bullets to .310".

I used the same bullet in my Remington Model 742 Semi-auto rifle in 30-06.  Yeah, I know!! People say that the 742 auto will plug the gas port with cast bullets and they don't shoot well either.  My shooting group has labeled my 742 as the Remington 742 BR (Bench Rest Accurate).

If I were you and just starting out with cast bullets, I would simply try to start by having fun and getting accustomed to the little nuances involved with cast bullets.  I have fired 3033 cast bullets this year and love it.  I don't weigh, separate or fuss too much.  One of the most serious pieces of equipment you need is a Saeco Lubrisizer and appropriate top punches to align the bullet in the sizing die.  I have tried several, including the Star and I find the Saeco produces more concentric bullets.

My CZ velocity runs just over 2000 fps and not a hint of leading.  I used regular Javelina bullet Lube (50% Bees Wax and 50% Alox).  Nothing fancy, but it works.

Harold Clark