Author Topic: auction sites  (Read 400 times)

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
auction sites
« on: September 29, 2004, 12:37:28 PM »
Gentlemen, have anyone here ever purchased a gun from an auction site such as gunbroker or gunsamerica?

Tips and suggestions would be helpful. For what it's worth I have at least one local shop that will handle the transfer.

This link should point you towards what I am after. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976464240.htm
I trust that no one here will try for the same item as me seeing as how we are all upstanding gentlemen.... :wink:
Of course if someone has something similar, please post it in the classifieds and I'll contact you directly.

Nixter

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
auction sites
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 02:17:46 AM »
The trouble with buying off of an auction site is: a) Many of the sellers are dealers, pawn shops, etc. and they have a reserve (minimum acceptable price) that they will accept which is usually the average retail price.  b) Also even if you find a bargain the shipping cost, and transfer fees can quickly eat up any savings. c) You can't inspect the goods before buying.  You can't tell that a barrel crown is dinged or if an action is loose from a grainy picture on your computer screen.  

That said, if you have a lot of time to kill and constantly search the auction sites you can turn up a bargain once in a while.  I picked up a like new, 2 year old, Handi in .280 Rem. off of gunbroker.com for $195 including shipping & transfer fees.  But I searched a long time before I found it.

Helpful hint - All of the auction sites have a rating system for the sellers with a history on that site.  See what others have too say about a seller you are thinking about dealing with.

Good Luck.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
auction sites
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 03:41:33 PM »
I've been thinking about scaring up the money to buy that gun myself. Probably won't though. I bought an Encore through gunsamerica last year and every thing was smooth but I did pay a little more than I should have. That's not a great deal but it aint that bad. Guns america isn't an auction sight though it's just a listing service. Another auction sight is www.auctionarms.com.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
auction sites
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 04:08:40 PM »
Well the process has begun. Contacted the seller and made him an offer he e-mailed back at opening of the next business day and accepted my offer. Drove to the local gunshop that I knew did transfers, took care of all that and paid the fee. (big price increase since the last time I asked ) I was a bit shocked at the size of the increase but paid the fee anyways knowing that the salesman had nothing to do with setting the rate. Just need to sit and wait now.

I need to shop for a new gunshop, a little guy where I can browse and talk guns and stuff. In hind sight I should have went elsewhere to do the transfer but I had new-gunitis...

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Will update further when gun arrives and deal is complete. If all goes well and I expect it to, would it be out of line for me to post the name of the sellers business? From what I've seen so far I would consider buying from him again.

Nixter