Author Topic: 1860 Colt frames; civilian vs military  (Read 929 times)

Offline Rum River

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
1860 Colt frames; civilian vs military
« on: October 01, 2004, 07:55:09 AM »
Is the only real difference between the civilian and the military frames the extra cut low on the right side of the frame?

Was this cut provided to make it easier to cap? If so, has anybody converted their civilian to a military?
Rum River

"It was a FRIENDLY fight".     "Hmph, I've never been in one a them."

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 08:42:14 AM »
A true civilian model 1860 Colt does not have the relief cuts in the lower portion of the recoil shields, nor will it have the extra screws in the frame or the cut in the bottom of the back strap. In simpler terms, it is not made to accept the "carbine breech" or what we would call a detachable buttstock. I haven't seen but a couple of them and have always thought they were a rare item. I don't know for sure that Colt ever
called them civilian and military models, but it does seem appropriate.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 11:29:08 AM »
A couple of comments gleaned from Flayderman's Guide.
Although there were 200,500 Model 1860s made, the shoulder stock notches and fourth screws were dropped around ser. no. 50,000.  So, I don't see how they could be more rare.  
During the War, most production went to the army (US) but after the war,  the fit and finish of "civilian" models is thought to have been improved.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:58:42 PM »
I expect that a lot of them were used up in the war and its aftermath. A
certain percentage were probably converted to cartridge configuration by one means or another. In any case, I see more four screw '60 Armies for sale than civilian models.
  The fit and finish on the earliest guns and the post war guns is supposed to have been to a higher standard. This seems likely as wartime has always led to shortcuts and if it didn't affect the function of the piece, it was good enough. The 1911 Colt I carried in the service was a bit lacking in the appearance department, but never failed to fire when necessary.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member