Author Topic: Elk Info Needed!!!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline kkeetr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://webpages.charter.net/kkeetr/index.html
Elk Info Needed!!!
« on: July 05, 2004, 10:23:55 PM »
I just found out I was drawn for an antlerless elk tag in the Cloudcroft area of New Mexico.  The problem is, I don't know much about tactics for western hunting and hunting in general in the hills.  Last November I tried using a "still" hunting approach on a mule deer hunt in the same area.  I didn't see a single deer and I completely wore myself out walking up hill all day!

I did notice some trails along a large drainage ravine and the place smelled like a livestock lot, which I assume is a good thing.  What should I look for?  Do they bed up in the day?  Do they have seasonal movements in relation to altitude?  When is their rut?  Thanks for all your help.

BTW, it is a rifle hunt at the end of October.
2074 MILES FROM HOME

Offline crow_feather

Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 05:27:33 AM »
kkeetr,

There is so much information to pass on concerning this subject, that someone could almost write a book on the subject.  In fact, someone has.  But I would suggest you hit the search engine on your internet, and find as many articles on elk hunting as you can find.  Especially for the area you are going to hunt.  Best of luck

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 03:33:17 AM »
The problem with that part of the state, as you found out chasing deer, is that sneak hunting is tough.  There are a lot of elk in that country, but the forest is so thick that you can hike around for days and push elk out ahead of you.  I've only hunted turkeys there, so  I can't really comment on chasing elk or deer.  I have played around with them up there and found that getting up high on one ridge and glassing to the other might work.  Get up high early, and glass a herd as they head to bed for the day from the private valleys below.  Once the settle in, you may be able to swing downwind and stalk up on them.  By the time you hunt the rut will be over.  In my experience it usually peaks about mid-September when I'm chasing turkeys.  Of course, if you can find a trail that the elk seem to use pretty regularly, you can set up on it and wait.  I've used this tactic elsewhere with decent luck.

Sorry I can't be more help.  Good luck in your hunt.

Offline kkeetr

Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 04:20:04 AM »
Thanks for your help!  I will definetly do more glassing than walking this trip!
2074 MILES FROM HOME

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:42:04 AM »
:D Get yourself a cow call and practice some with it. There are lots of videos that demonstate their use. Sometimes you can call cow elk out into the open for a shot. all the other guys here have good suggestions also.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 01:11:03 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline insanelupus

New Mexico Cow Hunt
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 06:57:27 PM »
I've hunted the area south of Cloudcroft quite a bit, down around Weed and Sacramento.  Nice country, good elk hunting there.  Hunted Hay Canyon pretty hard and saw lots of elk.  My cousin hunted that area in the 70's and 80's and he had a pretty good tactic for elk hunting, though it was tiring.  He would wake up real early 2-3 AM or so and hike up the mountain to a saddle in good elk country.  He'd get there several hours before daylight (having scouted the area prior to season), sit down take a nap, eat a little breakfast, etc.  Lots of road hunters in the area and others who just tromp out edges and areas around meadows.  The elk would be low, grazing and of course headed up the mountain come morning.  Often they would be pushed by other hunters and in an attempt to escape they would travel through the saddles headed towards other areas or bedding grounds.  Worked well, for elk as well as deer.  Give it a shot.  If all else fails and you don't get your cow, at least you're hunting beautiful country and thats more than some folks ever get.  Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Offline kkeetr

Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 06:10:41 PM »
insanelupus, I will definetly give that a shot.  Thanks!
2074 MILES FROM HOME

Offline kkeetr

Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 12:08:19 PM »
insanelupus,
Thanks for your help!  I did quite a bit of scouting before the hunt but I never saw a single elk til Saturday morning.  Once the pressure started, there were elk everywhere for about 20 minutes.  Didn't see a single one after I took my shot.  Thanks again!

2074 MILES FROM HOME

Offline insanelupus

Elk Info Needed!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 06:54:56 PM »
Congrats to you, glad it worked out well.  Yup, they get to moving when the fellows with the long sticks and pumpkin suits move in.  Opening morning here was pretty uneventful, a handful of shots, but elk are still up hi.  We're getting more snow though so hopefully it won't be long.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask."