Author Topic: Hi-Point pistols: Good deal or junk?  (Read 668 times)

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hi-Point pistols: Good deal or junk?
« on: September 13, 2004, 12:27:53 PM »
Am shopping for an inexpensive handgun and have seen several Hi-Points in 9mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W calibers. Don't look much different mechanically than other guns, but they are so much cheaper I have to wonder if they are junk. What have you guys heard or experienced with these pistols?
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »
I personally have not owned one, and never will. I had a chance to shoot one for my buddy that was having problems with it stove piping and fail to feed. I tried several different makes of ammo and no matter what we tried it still jammed and stove piped. IMHO they are junk.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline cbagman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 02:22:05 PM »
:? They are leaverite guns.. When you see one for sale, leave 'er right there.. Piece of junk.. Years ago I cut up a lot of Saturday night specials for a dealer and if those Hipoints were made back then I woulda chopped them up too.. cbagman
:grin: NRA Life Member
 :wink: Gun Control is Hitting What You Aim For!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:16:32 AM »
huntsman:  hte Hi-Point pistols have been written up in the Gun Tests magazine and have been found to be inconsistent in both quality and reliability.  Some work well, others not at all.  I would avoid them as they do not seem to be a good deal in any regard.

If you are looking for inexpensive pistols and want to start with a 9mm, go through your latest Shotgun News and take a look at the used european police pistols like the Walther 9mms - absolutely solid and reliable.  You can also find Tokarev pistols in both 7.62x25 and 9mm at very reasonable prices.  For an oddity, there is the Chech pistol that appears to be a design combination of the Walther P-38 and something else - again, solid and reliable.  Those are the 9mms.

In the 45 caliber range, you can find Norinco copies of the 1911A1, or the Rock Island (?) copy as well - these are not used pistols but new and will go you a couple of hundred dollars.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:20:24 AM »
I suppose you guys saved me a headache I don't need right now. Guess this is yet another example of the old saying, "You get what you pay for." Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated. 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 08:49:02 AM »
If you're looking for an inexpensive 9mm that you plan to shoot a lot, look no further that the Ruger "P" series. All I have seen, and the one I own have been stone reliable and should last longer than we will! I have a KP95DC that I have owned for about 8yrs. I use it for a loaner gun at IDPA matches. regardless of the shooter, I have yet to see a stoppage of any kind after wheelbarrow loads of ammo put thru it! Wish I could say the same about the Kimbers, Glocks, CZs, and various other pistols I own!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 08:22:49 AM »
Well I guess I just have to be different. I own a hi-point 9mm (my 2nd.) and I like it. I put 200 rds thru it in a couple hours shooting Friday with no malfunctions.  It is as accurate as I can shoot any pistol.  For a knock around gun I think these are fine.  No it won't replace my Gold Cup but it is fun to shoot.