Author Topic: WHERE DID VARMINT CONTROLLER GO?  (Read 767 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
WHERE DID VARMINT CONTROLLER GO?
« on: October 13, 2004, 06:28:38 AM »
i see we have a new moderator that took over for varmint controller.my question is WHERE IS VARMINT CONTROLLER?something happen to him?no longer with us?

does anyone know?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 07:03:59 AM »
Not sure anyone has a really good answer to that question. He just abandoned the moderator position. Several members had deals going with him and he just stopped all contact with them. I am led to believe at least one or more of them had personal contact with him to complete their deals but those not close enough have been unable to complete their deals.

All that is to me just hearsay. Some directly involved might or might not wish to post what they know. What I know is he didn't respond to PMs or e-mail and just vanished so I had no choice but to replace him as moderator.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 07:47:36 AM »
Mr. Graybeard,
                        You made a good choice selecting Markus as a moderator.  I have been chatting with him on this and the old H&R site.
Hopefully him and I can hook up for a sea duck hunt this winter.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline jeff223

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 11:34:07 AM »
thanks Graybeard.i just wondered about this

Offline 044

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 12:31:07 PM »
Dad always says if you don`t have nothing nice to say don`t say nothing at all.Right now I`m bitting my tongue so hard it must be bleeding.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:53:44 PM »
Griz,did you have dealings with him?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 04:03:29 PM »
He took me for $36.00. Not a big enough deal for me to get too fired up about. More than anything I was disapointed that some one I thought was a decent guy turned out to be less than decent. If you're really interested the thread about the misdealings was moved to the classified traders forum. It's funny that you asking because I was buying a synthetic monte carlo stock from him to set up an ultra like yours.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jeff223

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »
im sorry that some of you got took.i had no idea :shock: .i remember on the old nef talk he was always wanting to trade or sell or buy stocks from forum members.live and learn i guess

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:07:58 PM »
I was one of the guys that he traded with and that first transaction went fine. That's why I trusted him for a second. We had a lot of conversation prior to his disapearance. He had a lot of knowledge and experience and seemed like a guy I wouldn't mind hunting with. I guess I'm disappointed in myself for misjudging his character.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 12:27:10 AM »
VC goes back a long ways back to the  H&R sight days. Always was well liked. I am sorry to those whom he owed money to. I believe MSP Ret would have more info on VC, but most likely would be reluctant to share. I hope VC is OK. I know he went through a hard time.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 02:11:56 AM »
Hi Rogmatt, I had an earlier trade with VC on the new site that went great. I remember him well from the old site, always seemed to be a stand up guy. My second and last deal with him went badly and I was not paid for one of the group barrels I was lucky enough to get and offered to others here (the guy that had them for sale said he thought he might come across more and knew of at least one more, a 12 gauge with a barrel that was "peeled back" for a couple of inches at the muzzle, I said I'd buy it and as many as he could locate but he has never gotten back to me).
After some searching and legwork I was able to locate some information and numbers for VC. As a result of this and with some legwork (and being ready, willing, able, as well as making preparations to seek legal recourse through the local DA's office and the courts)
I was able to get compensation for the barrel I sent him. I have not heard from him since.
At my offer and at the request of Griz and Markus I have shared that information with them. I feel that info should be limited to those who are owed something from VC as a result of trades, sales, or deals gone bad on this forum. I am here to help anyone so affected. Since the trades were conducted through the US Postal Service there may be a chance (99% chance) that the violations would be both investigated and prosecuted by the Postal Inspection service. Very easy for the person wronged, the Postal Inspectors do most of the work, you just request and complete a complaint form they mail to you and then mail it in, the Postal Inspectors do the invest and seek federal complaints.
 Depending what state you live in and the laws of that state you may be able to file a larceny complaint at YOUR local court (this is dependant on larceny being a "continuing offense" under your states laws, if it is, the venue is where it occurs, where it is initiated, or any area through which the stolen property passes, in other words, where he lives, where you live, or anywhere in between. You might be able to file a complaint at your local court, if he then fails to answer the complaint a warrant could issue from your court for his arrest).
If you only live a couple of states away as I do, and every month or so travel within a few miles of the local court in the area where the "defendant" lives you could seek complaints at the local court of jurisdiction.
I wish the best to Griz, Markus, and VC also. I learned long ago to not dislike the person but what they did. If VC wanted to trade again, and as long as he sent his stuff first, I would still trade with him, no animosity but the trust is gone. I still hope he decides to make things right for Griz and Markus, but remember, to push it you have to be willing to follow through.This whole incident was really a black mark for this forum, but it can be made much better, come on VC, make it better, honor your commitments, I know you can....<><.... :wink:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 05:11:22 AM »
Maybe VC has some problem that we don't know about. Sometimes we all get those financial, health, or whatever problems. I know VC was around the old site for a long time. When I first came to this forum I was working on a deal with him but I opted out at the last minute. I was afraid my backing out would give me a bad mark here. Now I am glad that I did.
 Those who had dealings with him should do as they feel led to do about the situation. The rest of us should just mark what happened and wait for "the rest of the story".
I am writing this as kind of a reminder to myself to be tolerant and patient with people I deal with. This after I have just been "taken" for 3 firearms by my soon to be (?) son-in-law.   :(
May God bless VC and those involved. (The rest of us too)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 11:54:38 AM »
to bad to hear all this.

hopefully VC and all involved can get this straightened out before the lawyers, courts, and postal inspectors are launched.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »
SC, VC did make all things right with me after I contacted him and went up for a visit. I missed him at work but left a message. After a couple of more phone calls he made it all right concerning our dealings. I was ready and willing to follow it out to whatever it took to make it right. I am lucky enough to live close enough to do so and have the background so that route would not be to daunting.
The others have yet to get satisfaction. To do so they may have to be willing to go all the way. I hope not. I still hope everything turns out OK with VC and he honors his commitments.
He does have the option of returning what was sent to him by the others if he no longer can, or no longer wants to, complete the deals. Thats an easy way out....<><.... :wink:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 03:33:26 PM »
i remember VC being on the NEF website for quite a long bit of time, and here so too. i am not defending or justifying anything or anyone but he seemed like an OK guy to me, was fun to 'talk to' but i also never did any business with him.

my point is that i schlepp this website for pure relaxation and enjoyment. i hate to see this type of behavior, especially when i am 'off the clock'. like everyome else, i would prefer to see all pending deals closed being paid or with stuff being returned.

i'm sure you know that sometime life deals one a bad hand once in a while, which is OK, it happens. if we are seeing a pattern then your approach and remedy is the way to go.

at my job i am not so forgiving (as in not at all), but when i am amongst friends and people of similar interest, i tend to be a bit more forgiving, must be a personality defect !!!

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 03:49:53 PM »
SC, I hold no grudges and willingly give up a lot to the other person to get along, but believe me, all avenues were exhausted and all options were extended. There was a pattern and it was not pretty. We, the first and most affected, tried and tried to make these deals work but got nothing but lip service, then did not even get that. It's was worse than I would want to get into here in public but please believe me, all opportunities were extended to make things right, and some of us just got ignored or misled (polite way to say it), and more than once. I feel badly for the others, at least one of which was hurt much more than I, and were not able to get compensation or their property returned. The offer to make things right is still open and the opportunity is always there to do so, it's now up to him, I am sure he could even send the stuff back collect and they would be happy.
You are correct about this site and the "talk" being among friends and people of like interests. I think of it as almost like a family, but remember the old saying, you can pick your friends but not your relatives. We have here whoever comes here, and we are all old enough to make our own way and reputation, that said we have to look out for ourselves and one another as well for those that would hurt us. As I would tell some of my "customers" before I retired, "don't mistake kindness for weakness". The person involved was given every chance to make good then given more chances, then more chances, these were interspersed with replies of promises unfulfilled. A time comes when kindness and diplomacy is over and is replaced not by more rhetoric, but by action....<><.... :grin: