Author Topic: Favorite 45/70 mold  (Read 597 times)

Offline JCP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Favorite 45/70 mold
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:20:54 AM »
What is your favorite bullet mold for 45/70 ? I'm going to order one monday . I'll be shooting at steel targets at 100 and 150 yds. using smokless powder. I wish it was black powder but all the guys at this range shoot smokeless. In the mean time I'm looking for a good range in my area where they use black. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Saco makes a real nice looking 405 gr. mold that i'm considering.

Offline Leftoverdj

Favorite 45/70 mold
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 12:54:21 PM »
I'm shooting Lee 459-305-HB and don't think you can do any better for kind of shooting you describe. I've gotten sample quantities of bullets from half a dozen other moulds, and the only one that really impressed me was a 325 GC semi custom from Mountain Molds. That's probably a better hunting bullet because it can be driven so much faster and flatter, but I sure don't need the expense and aggravation of gas checks for my normal shooting.

The Lee will get you started for under $20 and you can order one on Monday and have it before the end of the week. If you feel the need to order one of Dan's or to hunt around for one of the harder to find moulds, you'll have time. There are a lot better moulds than the Lee single cavity for the long haul, but there are mighty few that make bullets that shoot any better.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Favorite 45/70 mold
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 08:17:48 AM »
No need for a heavy bullet if that's all you'll be doing. I like the Redding Saeco #013 I believe is the number. It's a 300 gr. bullet that falls from my mould large enough to be sized .460. Go here www.creeker.net and look under rifle bullets at DC 458-305-FP for a picture. This mould is very easy to use.
Joshua 1:9

Offline JCP

• Avid Poster
Favorite 45/70 mold
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 08:38:41 AM »
Thanks for the advise men. I have the large handles for lyman molds, do they fit any other mold blocks?

Offline Leftoverdj

Favorite 45/70 mold
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 12:17:56 AM »
They fit RCBS and Ohaus, if you run across an Ohaus. May fit some other stuff.  Lee one and two cavities come with handles supplied. I'm not sure about some of the others. I do recall that I had to modify Lyman handles long ago when I ran into blocks that were just a bit long for the tong part of the handles, but I don't recall what make and it only took a couple of minutes at the grinder.

My impression is that Lyman handles are pretty close to universal for one and two cavity moulds, but there's bound to be some exception I have not run across.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.