Author Topic: Ultra slug hunter accuracy  (Read 803 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra slug hunter accuracy
« on: October 17, 2004, 05:46:55 AM »
What is the expected accuracy from a Ultra slug hunter with sabots, at 50 yards the first 3 shot group i got 1 3/4'', the second group was 3 inches, why such a difference, it was windy and raining both days....i just don't understand why it shot so well and then went bad like that....what type of groupage do you think is required to hunt deer?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 11:17:26 AM »
MIHUNTER;

Assuming your using the same type of slugs all the time 1 3/4 at 50yds and 2-3inches at 100 sounds pretty good ,thats what my ultra slug 20ga
does consistantly but I always use same slugs my gun prefers 2 3/4in
lightfields hybred exp's,but each weapon is different so my advice find the sabot slugs your gun digests the best and stick with them.GL

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 12:23:55 PM »
are you swabbing the bore between shots? the fouling will affect sabots badly after a few shots. i run a dry bore snake through after every shot to clear the fouling.

also, i believe from your previous post, you have 1-4 power scope on the gun. this may make it difficult to do a true test of the guns capability for grouping at 50 or 100yds as you won't be able to see a consistant sight picture at those ranges. don't get me wrong, i think thats the perfect scope for hunting with slugs, but not the best for grouping. try sighting it in real close like 25yds so your not adjusting error into your sight in. once sighted in close, you can move the target back for offhand practice shooting.

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 01:23:54 PM »
Yes i have a 1.75-4.5x scope, i thought it would be good for hunting, thats all this gun is going to be used for is deer hunting, mainly in the swamps and wear it is real thick, i didn't like using my rifle because i couldn't take long shots due to how thick the rifle was so i figured hey a slug gun would be good, it would go right through small branches and what not with out so much deflection...also it has a lot of power at close ranges and that is all the gun will be used is close range, maybe 70 yards at the most, i sighted my gun in for 40 yards, i am just using winchester 2 3/4 inche sabots, the first 3 shots went right were i aimed, then today i took it out and shot it somemore and it was grouping every where kind of...it would be 2 to 3 inches from where i was aiming, so i figured since i messed with my scope mounts they might have been loose, i tightened them down, and cleaned the bore, it shot good, then accuracy started lieaving again...i think it was because i was flinching, then the wind blew and tipped over the table that my gun was sittin on outside and my gun came crashing to the ground and made me angry!...then i picked it up and fired 2 more rounds, they were a big hole but 4 inches to the right, i moved the reticle over 4 inches put a new target out there and the first shot went right into the 1 inch square, i think i got this sighted in now, what do you think? what is acceptable group sizes for deer?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 06:03:42 PM »
if the wind is blowing over your table, maybe thats the problem. maybe you don't have a stable platform to shoot from.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 12:35:01 AM »
Two things I've heard a lot about the group size needed to kill a deer com pare the vitals area to a basket ball or a paper plate.Go to walmart and look at a full size deer target (I'd never buy one) an it think they have a pretty good representation on them. If youve got some place that sell those archery target thats even better. If you can consistantly shoot 3" groups you'll kill deer but you're just not getting the getting all the acuracy the gun in capable of. Dont forget to practice shooting off hand or using whatever rest you use when hunting.  I've never heard of a deer being shoot from a shooting bench. You might want to try some federal preium slugs 2 3/4" with the barnes expander slugs. They always get good reports for accuracy and great on game performance.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun