Author Topic: ..Bought at a whim in the 1990s..  (Read 1060 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
..Bought at a whim in the 1990s..
« on: February 27, 2024, 05:15:20 AM »
  Seeing th  obvious quality for a very modest price (between $100 and $200), I purchased an American Arms CX22, a .22 clone of the Walther PPK.

The firm also produced .22s in Luger and Colt 1911 clones...but I opted for the PPK copy.  These came about by way of the ban on imported pocket
   pistols.
  Fortunate for me, they wisely imported the slide and most action parts from Erma works in Germany...fitting it to a frame made in Kansas City,
    where the firm is located, circumventing a stupid rule.

It functions very well with high velocity ammo...but not Stingers.   I had one Stinger blow its rim into the ejector slot.  Didn't hurt the gun at
    all..just had to clear the debris from the slot.

Most could not tell it from a PPK, without reading the stamps...frame stamped "made in USA", the slide stamped CX 22  and "Made in Germany"..

The only thing I would like to improve upon, is the rudimentary sights...slightly better than the PPK itself, but still no great shakes in low light..

I have tried putting white on the sights, but would like to put some glow paint on the front sight.  Is there a preference between orange or green
   glow for low light conditions?

Here is the gun....    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xPtIzxInMA
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: ..Bought at a whim in the 1990s..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 10:04:48 AM »
Just me-  a gun like that isn't a target
pistol, and the sights are usually enough
for the intended purpose of poking extra
holes in an assailant.
I've used a TP22 for various purposes,
popped a rabid skunk years back, my
now late friend hung it out the truck
window and popped a couple off at
a coyote invading a neighbor's dairy
and actually hit within about 2 foot
of it with some kentucky windage.
It got viewed by a doofus at an
ATM one evening and made him
rethink his course of action.

Nothing wrong with those guns
for what they are.
Jennings, RG, Phoenix, Lorcin, Raven, etc.
I've shot a bunch of em.

Somebody is sitting on top of you
preparing to rearrange your dentures,
put 3 or 4 in his love handles and
he'll rethink his options

Good Luck with it
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: ..Bought at a whim in the 1990s..
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 07:58:41 AM »
  Yes, the sights were very rudimentary, just a low front blade and a rear square notch, not much wider than the front blade...hard to pick out.

So  I modified the sights on the CX22.  I used a small chain saw file and rounded out rear sight.  Then I painted front blade glow irange, and whited
  the  rear sight with correction fluid.

I figured, first opportunity, i would to mosey down to the woods  with the little PPK knockoff.. 

Well it so happened that a friend who  among other things, happens to be a Hollywood movie, on set arms adviser, called and wanted to try out
   his new Glock, one that is limited to federal law enforcement and Border Patrol.

Joe being a retired Marine of 23 years, he always shoots well, and was not lacking with his new 9mm.

I was very pleased with the mods on the little PPK knockoff.  I wish I had taken some photos..

Anyway, I fired on a police B27R target as shown below.

I slow fired one load at 7 yards slow fire and one magazine at 10 yards rapid fire.

Except for the very first shot, all were closely gathered tightly the face..the stray one would have been just about 1" above the perp's
      right ear..half inch off of the head.

First magazine..CCI 40 gr RN Mini-mag, second magazine CCI Velociters..

I truly believe the newly modified sights helped greatly in fast acquisition and placement, since all that was needed was tolet the glow orange drop to the center bottom of the white rear arc.

I carry a .22 with confidence..knowing that facial shot with a Mini-mag or Velociter can change a crooks mind..say nothing of 4-5  to the kisser.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)