Author Topic: montana pronghorn/deer  (Read 792 times)

Offline Handwerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
montana pronghorn/deer
« on: January 19, 2005, 06:26:23 AM »
I'm looking for some advise on an eastern Montana hunt. I will be going after pronghorn and maybe mule deer in district  7. Anybody with experience in this area? thanks much

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
montana pronghorn/deer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:37:38 AM »
Antelope season will start early in October, and deer late in October, so if you want to do both, you will have to wait until late Oct.

The best thing to do (assuming you don't have a place to hunt), is to apply and see which licenses you get.  Then, in mid-summer, call up Fish Wildlife, and arks (FWP) in Miles City, and ask them to send you the "Block Management  Book" for Region 7.  That booklet will come out in early August.

It contains general county maps and a list of all private ranches where hunting is allowed.  You will need to narrow down the area you want to hunt, and then call FWP back and ask them for maps of the hunting parcels you're interested in.  (I think they limit you to 5 maps at any one time).  

Then make your decision on where you want to go, call the landowner, and reserve a time.

If you want to go for the antelope opener, you have to do this ASAP.  That first week of antelope season fills up FAST!!!!

The landowner gets paid for this from FWP out of the nonresident license fee -  so once you buy a license you've already paid for this service.

Especially for antelope, I think this Block Management Program (BMP) is a great situation.  The ranchers generally limit the number of hunters and will only allow you to drive on established roads - so you never have that horrible situation (like often happens on public land) where you are putting a stalk on a bunch of antelope, and here comes a bunch of guys roaring along in a pickup and they stop and start blasting at the herd you've just spent the past 2 hours trying to stalk!

There were A LOT of antelope in Region 7 this year.   If the winter is mild, next year should also be great.

Offline Big Sky

• http://www.thehunterslife.com/ADAMSART.htm
montana pronghorn/deer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 10:42:21 AM »
The only advice I can give you is go antelope hunting the last few days before deer opens then concentrate on deer. Although antelope season is open into November it is a VERY BAD time to hunt them. The bucks start shedding their horns the last week of October and it just gets worse as it progesses in to November. I had some friends come out from Idaho this past season despite my protests they choose to hunt antelope the last week of the season. They learned real fast why I thought it was a bad idea. They all killed bucks but no real big bucks. It turned out to be more of a hunt to just find any with horns let alone a big one. Their deer hunt on the other hand went rather well. I guess you have to decide which animal is the biggest priority. You must also decide if you are trophy hunting or just want any buck. If any buck will do it doesn't really matter when you come out.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
montana pronghorn/deer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 03:15:32 PM »
Hi Troy, hadn't seen you around here in a coon's age. Welcome back.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Big Sky

• http://www.thehunterslife.com/ADAMSART.htm
montana pronghorn/deer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 04:40:56 PM »
It has been too long. Heck, I had to re-register. Man, things have changed around these parts. Nice improvements Graybeard. I think I'll have to hang around a little more often.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
Montana mule deer non- res ...tough draw?
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 12:18:38 PM »
:D HI folks,
  Don't know why I couldn't log onto this site for awhile.I,m glad your back.
Anyway, after going to Wyoming twice and not doing too well with a nice mulie I was thinking about south eastern Montana.Is it hard to draw a deer tag for that area?What do the ranchers usually charge as a fee to hunt thier property?When is the deadline to apply for a non-resident tag?Also If anyone could recommend a rancher or someone that allows hunters access?  Thanks Pa RR