Author Topic: Question from a newbie  (Read 544 times)

Offline johne

• Trade Count: (0)
Question from a newbie
« on: October 11, 2004, 06:54:52 PM »
With my family's safety as the most important concern, a local gun shop suggested the S&W 908. Because it won't fire without the magazine it is safer balance between your children findiing the gun without the magazine nearby and the ability to quickly load if neccessary in the middle of the night. With this in mind, I was wondering if there are any other manufacturers that offer the same feature. Should I be considering anything else besides a S&W or was that a good pick on his part? Thanks in advance.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 02:58:49 AM »
johne:  consider the Browing Hi-Power, it too has a magazine disconnect that will allow you to leave it chambered but without the magazine in place she won't shoot.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

Question from a newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:15:12 AM »
Oh yeah, if you really want a magazine disconnect, get the Hi Power!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Question from a newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »
If you have small children in the house, I'd suggest you get any semi-auto you want, but leave the chamber empty.  No small child can operate the slide to load the chamber from the magazine... but you can do it very quickly if necessary.

I would never trust any "safety feature" on any gun when an empty chamber is an obvious solution.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
Question from a newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 07:26:06 PM »
If there is a will, there is a way. Don't leave firearms laying around no matter what. Your children may have an older friend come over who is capable of pulling the slide back and chambering a round. The kids may even figure out how to press the edge of the slide against a hard surface to chamber a round. About any four-year-old who watches television or sees you insert a magazine can figure out how to do it themselves. They can pull a chair over to get that "forbidden" pistol off the top closet shelf.

Keep your firearms out of the reach of children until they have the training and are responsible enough to use firearms themselves. Some will never reach that point. Others may reach it quickly.

You might look at some of those steel boxes with keyless entry.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Savage

Question from a newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 06:37:20 AM »
I don't own any pistols with a working magazine disconnect, and certainly wouldn't rely on one to keep my guns secure. If I had anyone in the house other than my wife, all the guns would be in the safe with the exception on the ones we have on our person. Which is pretty much the way it is anyway. Occasionally I come in from work and leave my duty guns laying out in my room, but my room is always locked and off limits to any uninvited guests.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Flinch

Question from a newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:44:51 PM »
I used to have a 908, I sold it because I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn 3 times with a full magazine load. I never had a problem with it other than it just wasnt accurate.
As far as safety is concerned, I wouldnt consider a magazine disconnect as a child safety item,  If little ones can get to your gun at all, a better plan is needed.
There are several other handguns I would look at before buying a 908, like the Browning highpower, Springfield XD, Glock 19, Beretta 92.
 IMHO the 908 is not even close to same quality, it may funtion fine, but hitting the target might be important someday too.