Author Topic: No deer but a great hunt  (Read 389 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
No deer but a great hunt
« on: October 14, 2004, 03:30:59 PM »
1st hunt of the year for me and even though I didn't take a deer it was so great to be out in the woods. I walked a lot and sat in a stand and watched 6 small does feed. None of them exceeded 80 lbs and I'm not starving so I just watched them. I remember someone used to have the a signature that said " It's not the kill but the hunt that stirs the soul" I was reminded of that today as I sized up each one of the does through my scope. After my long busy summer I see a lot of time in the woods coming as the weather cools down. Still a lot of green and bugs here.I hunt land that my grandfather bought in the 1930's and can remember spending time in those woods with my Great Grandfather, Grandpa, Pa, and my sons. I hope my great grandchildren can have the same memories. A lot of people asume that I'll sell it when it's handed down to me but I don't think I ever will. Walking through those woods I feel more at home than I ever have in a house. It was good to be home again.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
No deer but a great hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 03:59:32 PM »
i know what you mean. i recently got permission to hunt a woods where my dad and grandpa taught me to hunt. we spent many many hours there over the years.

tonight i was there with dad and we saw 5 deer and even though we didnt get any bushytails, it was like being home again. i know exactly what you mean by that.

on a side note, my dad taught me to shoot outside those woods by setting up a tin bucket he found in the woods and i shot it with a .410 bolt action that was "mine" to hunt with. first time i ever shot a "Real" gun. i think i was eight or nine. last week i found that bucket while squirrel hunting and set it up right where dad had it 15 years ago. my mossberg sent it flying, just like that .410 did. ahhhhh it was like a steaming hot cup of nostalgia. god did that feel good.

i took the bucket home with me...i plan to use it as a flower pot. maybe you guys would understand....i doubt my neighbors will lol

:)

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
No deer but a great hunt
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:39:10 AM »
markus, i'm jealous.

sounds like a very enjoyable 1st hunt of the season.

i got 1 bow hunt in before blowing out my shoulder. i heard something bout 10yds behind me and turned just in time to see a deer butt headed through the thick foliage which is still up here. couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe.