Author Topic: wierd pressure problem with remington  (Read 972 times)

Offline willysjeep134

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
wierd pressure problem with remington
« on: October 08, 2004, 07:09:00 AM »
I was shooting my brass frame remington last weekend and was having a very strange problem. My load was 25 grains (volume) of American Pioneer fffg substitute. I was using a wonderwad for the first time, and .454 round balls which I normally use. I was also using Remington No 10 caps.

Here's what happened. I was shooting at about 35 yards and was not getting the accuracy I am used to. Also, a few times I would fire and there would be enough pressure and flash coming out of the nipple to force the hammer back and advance the cylinder a little. It didn't advance enough to cock it or anything, but it would advance enough to move the just fired chamber out of line with the bore.

I have always heard that the American Pioneer powder is actually weaker than fffg black. I was shooting the same volume that I would normally shoot with goex, but I was getting this freaky high pressure like activity. Could the wonderwads be contributing to the high pressure? Could it be that the flask was almost empty and only the fine grains remained? Could it be that the nipples have been enlarged by so much shooting and now allow too much fire through?  I think I am due for a new set of nipples anyways, so I might as well try that while I am waiting for advice. Thanks in advance.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:39:07 AM »
Don't know anything about that brand of powder, but I would not blame it or the wads first. I would look at the nipples also. Your mainspring might not be up to snuff too.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 06:19:51 PM »
Had that to happen with a 36 51' navy, only happened during full power loads, and with Swiss powder it'd almost cock.  Replaced the nipples with Tresso brand and no more problem.  I guess the factory nipple flash holes were to big. :?
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Shorty

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 02:59:52 PM »
Just think!  A semi-automatic C&B revolver!   :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:01:36 PM »
Chuck the shmuck Shumer already wants to ban it! And Kerry will support him.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 07:12:06 AM »
um...........I think I discovered the problem. I had the 30 grain spout in my flask. That is still within the acceptable range for my revolver, so it was still safe. Still, whew, I need to lable that sucker so I don't make that mistake again. Ah well, at least it is very difficult to accidentally overload a standard revolver. What a wakeup call though! I'm happy that both my hand and the one in the mechanisim of the revolver are still unharmed.

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 01:25:02 PM »
???
a 30 grain spout came with my old CVA flask and it is the one I almost always use with FFFG in my 1858 Rem. I never had a problem, even when I tried 777, which is supposed to be alot hotter.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 08:14:00 PM »
I though the 58 remmington would hold 40 grains?
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 06:28:42 AM »
The chamber on my Remington holds thirty grains plus the ball. There's no way I could get forty grains in there. That's getting up into Colt Dragoon territory.
    Thirty grains is probably way too heavy a charge in a brass frame gun though. They shoot loose pretty quick when you load them with full charges, at least in a .44.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 06:05:09 PM »
Yep, I goofed up and thought the spout was 25, not 30. I used to reload diferent charges from a measure when I was working up a load. I settled on 30 grains using elephant FFFg, which is pretty slow. Using American Pioneer apparently I need to start measuring out 25 grain loads again. It would be easier on the gun. The reason I was so appalled at my mistake is that I could imagine it being much worse. A similar mistake while reloading smokeless cartriges could have had dire concequences.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 03:58:07 AM »
Yep, solved! I didn't get around to getting those nipples, so I just loaded up a cylinder with 25 grains and a wonderwad and .454 ball. My caps are no longer being shreaded and blown apart, and my groups are much tighter.

When I was working up a load back about a year ago i remember being able to hit 1000 FPS on the chronograph with 32 grains of FFFg. I might have to go out and see just what 25 of that substitute stuff does in mine. I had almost considered hunting with it last year, but I think I might just bring it as a backup or something.