Author Topic: 257 weatherby mag  (Read 1118 times)

Offline ins.man

• Trade Count: (0)
257 weatherby mag
« on: September 24, 2004, 03:15:08 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge with this round. I deer hunt and they are usually 140-170 lbs in NC.  I came across a deal on a weatherby rifle and I do not know much about the 257 ammo.  Smaller and fast is about it. Don't want to throw away $ just for a good buy if I would be better off with say a .243.   Any suggesations will be very helpful.  Thanks alot & God Bless

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 07:26:24 PM »
Brought my first one home this week after wanting one for over 25 years. It was Roy Weatherby's favorite. He killed many an elk with it. Using 115 or 120 Nosler PTs I'd not concern myself about inadequate killing power up to that size game either.

I expect most of my use will be with 115, 117 and 120 grain bullets. It's a winner.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 01:12:01 AM »
It is a good round as long as you reload. The cost of factory ammo is ridicules. In my opinion, I would stick to a standard round for deer such as a 270, 30-06, 308, 243, 25-06. Like I said it is just my opinion. I personally would not buy a Weatherby round.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

257 weatherby mag
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 02:13:08 PM »
ins.man,

Excellent Cartridge.  Excellent Rifle.  Excellent choice for most anything you will ever come across.  This combination is notoriously accurate.  My second favorite Weatherby caliber after my .300.  The very best part is shooting Weatherby cartridges is the best excuse I know to convince the wife you need to get into reloading.  Then shooting a Weatherby is no more expensive than any other “magnum” cartridge.  Get this one and you’ll never be sorry.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 03:50:26 AM »
I think this is a great cartridge. Its the great 25-06 on steroids.

I would like one of these for mule deer, antelope, mountain goat, ect. out west.

If you don't handload, I would not get one if this is going to be your primary weapon. If this is going to be your primary weapon for deer in the east and you don't handload, I would go with the 243 or the 25-06 due to availability and cost of ammo. Not to mention, either of these will be more than enough for even long range, as long range is considered here in the east.

But I have to say, the 257 weatherby mag is a great, great cartridge.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 04:37:34 PM »
Well I thought I wanted a .257 Wby in the Vanguard, until I priced ammo. $57.99 a box :shock:  I don't reload, and think if I get a .257 Wby, it won't be until after I start reloading. I can buy 3-4 boxes of 25-06 ammo for that amount.

HogFan

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 05:28:40 PM »
Well I thought I wanted a .257 Wby in the Vanguard, until I priced ammo. $57.99 a box  I don't reload, and think if I get a .257 Wby, it won't be until after I start reloading. I can buy 3-4 boxes of 25-06 ammo for that amount.

HogFan

Depends on what you buy and where you buy it. Midsouth Shooters Supply is our newest advertiser, just agreeing to terms today with the check in the mail.

They sell two Weatherby brand loads with Hornady bullets for $31.98 per box, two with Nosler bullets for $35.67 and $45.51 per box for BTs and PTs respectively and lastly one load using the Barnes X bullet at $45.51 per box. So even buying one box at a time you'd come out well under your stated price counting shipping.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ins.man

.257 weatherby mag
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »
I decided to go with the .257 weatherby magnum.  Thanks for all your info! Now I need to find out what would be the best scope and power to mount on it.  Thanks again.

Offline JPSaxMan

257 weatherby mag
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 03:36:38 PM »
I don't know much about the .257...but I will say this. My deer rifle is a .243 (shoot me...hang me...I don't care). I took an approx. 165 lb. 8 point last year at approx 30 yds with Core-Lokt's. So...I don't think you're shooting thick skinned and big bodied deer...if that was the only problem a .243 would have been fine...but then again...it is always nice to have a bigger gun.  :P   :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 03:54:36 PM »
Mine wears the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm. I think it is a good match for the capabilities of the round. I'd highly recommend it for use on the .257 Whby. Mag.

I've had one range session with mine now. Tried two powders at one level (MAX-hey I didn't buy this thing for it's looks I bought it for speed) with two bullets. Nothing spectacular came of that trial.

I have three more loads put together with the powder that gave the best indication of wanting to shoot. Using Nosler 115 PT and Nosler 115 BT and the Hornady 117 BTSP which was one of the loads before and did best of all tried. Nosler is now making a 110 Accubond that will soon become available. I have some coming my way soon I hope. I believe this will be one of the loads Nosler makes for this round also.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 04:49:24 PM »
Its a good round to be sure. However having used both the 257 Weatherby and the 25-06, An animal would never notice the difference in the two. Given the same lengh barrels there is not a lot of difference. I can get about 180 fps more from the weatherby when shooting both through 26 inch barrels. Both rounds will put Elk on the ground with good bullets and shot placement. Good hunting.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 05:11:24 PM »
If you come within 180 fps of the .257 Whby. velocity with a .25-06 in same barrel length you are either:

1. Grossly over loading the .25-06

2. Grossly under loading the .257 Whby.

3. Or you have a really fast .25-06 barrel AND a really slow .257 Whby. barrel.

The velocity difference with same weight bullets should be closer to 300-400 fps.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Dusty Miller

257 weatherby mag
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 09:11:24 PM »
Buying used guns all bets are off but buying new my money goes to the 257 WSSM.  Same velocity as the 25-06 (3000 fps vs the Wthby's 3200).  That super short action sure looks good to me.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 09:03:24 AM »
I have been reloading both from the Hodgdon manual. It shows a difference of 169 fps with the 100 grain and 200 fps with the 120 grain. My chronograph pretty much show just about that. That is, by thier listing loading the 25-06 to 51000 and the weatherby to 53000. Of course I have no way to measure that. My new Sierra manual shows just 100 fps difference with both bullets but in the text they say its possible to gain 200 fps over the 25-06 with the 257 Weatherby. The new Nosler manual shows about 300 fps difference but they are testing the 25-06 with a 24 inch barrel and the Weatherby with a 26 inch barrel which is usually the case. I am using 26 inch Encore barrels for both. In truth I get plenty of velocity from the 257 Roberts to put the test to most 25 caliber bullets as I get 3100 fps from the Roberts with 100 grainers. I don't load 100 grain bullets for deer past that velocity as Sierra does not recommend speeds beyond that. I use only the 100 grain bullet in all my 25's as I feel the 25 is at its best with them. I have loaded 120 grain bullets in both the bigger 25's but have not been impressed with thier performance. For hevier bullets I prefer to move up to the 270-280.  A gunsmith friend of mine has chambered several Encore barrels for me. Good Hunting

Offline Lawdog

257 weatherby mag
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 11:26:13 AM »
James B,

I have to agree with Graybeard when he said;

If you come within 180 fps of the .257 Whby. velocity with a .25-06 in same barrel length you are either:

1. Grossly over loading the .25-06

2. Grossly under loading the .257 Whby.

3. Or you have a really fast .25-06 barrel AND a really slow .257 Whby. barrel.

The velocity difference with same weight bullets should be closer to 300-400 fps.

I love the "Quarter Bore" cartridges, in fact I collect .25 caliber rifles.  I have been reloading the .25-06 since long before Remington adopted(was originally called the .25-06 Niedner) it and gave it their name(40+ years).  I currently have three .25-06's(Ruger M77V, Ruger No. 1b, Rem. M700 BDL Varmint) all with 26" barrels(factory).  A MAXIMUM load of 55.9 gr. of RE22 behind a 100 Nosler Partition gives an average of 3,351 fps.(at a pressure of 61,100 psi) from all 3 of my rifles.  This charge shows excessive pressure(flattened or extruded primers) on all cases and in my opinion should NEVER BE USED.  A charge of 62.1 gr. of H4350 out of my .257 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe yields 3717 fps.(at the same pressure of 61,100 psi) using the same Nosler Partition.  Again this load is to be considered MAXIMUM and again in my opinion should NEVER BE USED.

The reason I used these two loads is because of the same pressure levels(as per the folks at RCBS tests), out of the same length barrels, using the same bullet and both maximum loads showing the same excessive pressure signs.  You should always get an average of 300(+/-) fps. or more from the .257 Weatherby over the .25-06 in rifles where everything is equal.  Data from reloading manuals are to be used as guideline only.  Every company that produces a reloading manual has their own set of guidelines as to what they consider to be minimum and maximum charges according to what their lawyers say(the old liability issue).  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
257 weatherby mag
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 04:03:32 PM »
All I can say is that I never load above published loads in the major reloading manuals. I have never had any excess pressure signs from loads in the Hodgdon or Sierra manuals. The only trouble I ever had was a load from the Hornady manual many years ago. This turned out to be an under load which is often more dangerous than an overload. This one was a load of 4320 which loked my 700 Remington 30-06 up tighter than a drum. The Hodgdon manual is pretty conserative compared to the Barnes manual. My barrels were made for me by a gunsmith friend who buys Encore barrel blanks someplace and chambers them in his shop.