Author Topic: wrong bullet?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline .270

• Trade Count: (0)
wrong bullet?
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:51:26 PM »
Why would a federal 130gr from a .270 not expand on a double shoulder hit? the deer went down at the shot a rolled around on the ground for 8-10 seconds before it died. I found no blood on the ground anywhere around the deer. This is the first deer I have shot with these bullets.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:58:44 AM »
Did the bullet pass through? If so I am betting the bullet did expand but just kept on going. If it did not pass through then either it broke up or it is still in there in some meat.

The fact that it dropped so quickly sounds to me like it did the trick just fine.

longwalker

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
wrong bullet?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 07:33:14 AM »
I have seen the wrong bullets not even penetrate into the cavity, much less exit and leave a two sided blood trail.

Give us some more details on the type of bullet and distance.

pepaw

Offline .270

wrong bullet?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 02:22:41 AM »
The shot was made at about 80yards. The bullet did exit but the exit wound was less the 1/4". When I first saw the deer I though the bullet came aprt inside the deer. I never found the exit wound until  after I got the deer home and got the skin off. If I didn't know better I would say it was shoot with a field tipped arrow but hen again the wounds are to small even for that. I also found no blood inside the deer the only sign of any shock was two small spots on the shoulder I shot at. By the way this was factory ammo. 130gr federal classic a "soft point".

Offline Dusty Miller

wrong bullet?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 07:17:35 AM »
I'd bet my next paycheck that the bullet came apart inside the animal and only a small piece created the exit wound.  These things happen.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline .270

wrong bullet?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
I'd bet my next paycheck that the bullet came apart inside the animal and only a small piece created the exit wound.  These things happen.
   Thats what I thought happened until I got the skin off. I have seen that happen alot with remington bullets thats why I don't use them. When that happens there is alot of what I call shock the deer to me looks more like it was hit with a car. I did not find any bullet parts at all in the meat. Nothing worse then finding lead or copper in your steak :x Just so you know the same bullet in 150gr works fine for me but its getting hard to find around here.

Offline oso45-70

Hunting andd Shooting General Discussions
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 06:17:56 PM »

Sounds like the bullet did just what it was expected to do. If you had a wound on both sides and not much meat damage what more could you ask for. It apparently didn't hit any major bones to bust it up. You did not say how big the deer was, If it was a small deer i would expect the bullet to just as it did.
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline .270

wrong bullet?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 03:18:47 AM »
For my hunting area this was a large deer about 180lbs or so live weight. I agree that the not much meat damage is a good thing. My problem with it is that was very good shot place ment on a standing deer. What if the next time im not so lucky and have to make a shot behind the shoulder or for some reason am off my mark and make a poor shot and the bullet does the same. Small exit wound means little or no blood and maybe a lost deer. Don't get me wrong I don't want to make a hole I can put my head in but about golfball size seems about right to me.

Offline flintlock

wrong bullet?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 04:31:09 AM »
Try the Federal Premium 130gr BTSP Sierra GameKing....my brother and his son have killed a bunch of deer with this bullet....At least 50...it does a good job...Good Luck

Offline NYH1

wrong bullet?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 06:44:31 AM »
Exactly which Federal bullet were you using?
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline .270

wrong bullet?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 10:09:42 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
Exactly which Federal bullet were you using?

Those plain old federal classics. My gun likes them, they are cheap and always had good luck with the 150gr. Im stuck with 4 boxs of thesr 130gr that Im really unsure about after the first deer with them.

Offline NYH1

wrong bullet?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 06:51:30 PM »
.270, I wasn't sure if you were using bullets that were made for deeper penetration and high weight retention like a Nosler Partition, Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, CT/Winchester Failsafe or something along thoughs lines. These type of bullets weren't really made for deer and in most cases won't expand that good and will make a pretty small exit wound. I have never used regular Federal soft point bullets. I do use Remington's 140 gr. Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt ammo in my 280 Rem. which I think is equivalent to what you're using and I have had great results on deer!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline .270

wrong bullet?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 03:43:36 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
.270,  I have never used regular Federal soft point bullets. I do use Remington's 140 gr. Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt ammo in my 280 Rem. which I think is equivalent to what you're using and I have had great results on deer!

I used those bullets to for a while but had problems with bullet break up. I would find the bullet jacket mushroomed but no core. That means no exit wound. The deer was always a blood shot mess even one the rare time that it did exit.

I use those bullets in 150gr get golf ball sized exit wounds. I have never found any part of one of these bullets and have killed 2 deer with one shot golfball sized wounds on both.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
wrong bullet?
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 03:56:08 AM »
From your original post "Federal 130 gr."... is this a:

1.  Factory round?
2.  Reload?

If Factory, it perfromed well and it can not be said with authority that it would not expand if the shot location had been in another place.  Shoot one in another place with a similar round and see.  I think you will see the expansion on the second shot.  I think you hit a vital area but passed thorugh soft tissue and thin plate shoulder bone without upsetting the nose of the bullet.

If reload what are the:

a.  powder weight in grains
b.  velocity of at the muzzle (est. if not chrono.)?

Fair Chase
Land Owner

Offline .270

wrong bullet?
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 07:27:46 AM »
I only shot factory ammo it would never pay for me to reload I don't get to shot nearly as much as I would like to. I have had people reload for me in the past but when you can''t open the bolt after you shoot because the case has swelled thats not good.  :shock: I had another guy reload for he said he used the load in his 7600. When I fired the first and only round the recoil differance was very noticeable and the primer had a hole in it. The rest of his supper reloads went in the trash can.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
wrong bullet?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »
Too bad.  You have had two bad experiences.   That would seal it for me ever having some else reload for me.  

I got the reloading bug from an older, wiser, co-worker, mentor, and hunting partner.  I can't "sell" you on its merits, but for me, reloading my own has been therapeutic, relaxing, fun, and successful.  I do not sell or give my reloads away.  

I shoot reloads in my own rifles with exemplary results over factory loads.  I would NEVER have shot this much purchasing factory loads, but I am having a whale of a good time figuring out what my rifles "eat" best.

The interesting result of reload trials is, biggest loads are not the best loads for my guns, I am a much better marksman for the trials than if I just shot a few sight in rounds prior to each season, and I get to keep the reloading machines - they're paid for in terms of equivalent factory loads.  If you have the time, check out my cost comparison between factory and reloads on my web page http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner.

I am by no means anyone's expert in reloading, but I am having a lot of fun and learning a lot about ballistics, firearms, marksmanship, and hunting whitetailed deer.  I feel extremely confident within 250 yards when using my 270.  That confidence feels good and fills the freezer - provided the deer participate.

Fair Chase
Land Owner