Author Topic: Slug guns vs. Rifle for whitetail  (Read 1276 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Slug guns vs. Rifle for whitetail
« on: October 29, 2004, 02:23:24 PM »
I live in michigan and hunt in a swamp, there is very thick brush around...i have always used a rifle but the maximum range for a shot is probably 150 yards, most deer are taken within 100 yards though,  there are lots of little branches  and sticks in the way...and shooting light 100 grain bullets those branches and sticks become a problem when you take a little bit extended shots, I have just gotten a Ultra Slug hunter with a 1.5-4.5x scope on it, it shoots 1 1/2'' to 2 1/2'' groups at 50 yards using sabot slugs, anyways...what would be the pros and cons to using a sabot slug instead of a rifle in this type of hunting, also it is froma  tree stand, what would you use, i want to use the new gun but i want other peoples opinions on this... what would you use in this situation, slug or rifle?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 02:31:44 PM »
I would almost always go with the rifle.  Nothing is going to bust brush, if you hit a stick it will throw your shot off.  The flatter shooting rifle will allow you to pick your shots very accurately.  Just put nice glass on your rifle to help see those sticks.  I would even choose a muzzle loader over a shotgun.  I've shot a few deer with a shotgun and wasn't too impressed even with a good hit they will run a little way.  I lost one of the biggest bucks I have ever shot due to it running that extra 60 yards and somebody else shot it and claimed it.  It was punched right thru the lungs with a breneke slug.

Offline htrjv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 12:36:28 PM »
No matter what  you use shot placement, and knowing your limitations will determine whether you bag your deer, or not.  A well placed shot in the heart lung region will usually stop your deer within 50 yards.  I hunt with an older Mossberg 12ga smoothbore slug gun.  Most of my shots are well within 50 yards, and the most my deer have gone is about 50 yards.  If I stretched my shots out to 100+ yards, I'm sure they would travel a farther distance. There is no replacement for knowing your equipment, AND your limitations of putting your shot where it will do the much good.  Good Luck this season.  Joe

Offline NautiBuoys

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:57:25 AM »
All my 20+ deer shot with a smoothbore W-W shotgun slug have dropped in their tracks, range from 50-120yds. I have had a few rifle shot deer run, but never very far. I'd go with whatever you're most comfortable shooting. I am looking to get more info on rifled sabot shotgun slugs performance, as what actual field use I have seen has not been good.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »
I recently read an article that shed some interesting light on brush busting calibers.  Now, it is agreed there is no such thing as a "brush" proof round.  But I was always under the impression that big, heavy bulets at slow speeds was the best answer to less deflection.  What I was amazed to find out is that Spitzer or pointed bullets at medium velocities tend to deflect the less while the big/heavies get musceled out of the way and tumble easier.  Plus, like thebear said, the benifits of a flatter trajectory allow you to slip your bullet through small holes in the brush without hitting something on the way.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 12:47:47 PM »
I hunt in New York, Pennsylvania, and Vermont. In Pa. and Vermont, I can use a rifle. My area of NY is slugs only. I always use a rifle when I can. I seem to be able to shoot a rifle much more accurately. My slug set-up is quite good (a Rem 11-87, rifled barrel, Leupold scope), but it is still behind the rifle in the accuracy department. As a matter of fact, I have switched to an Encore muzzleloader for my NY hunting.
Will

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 07:39:21 AM »
no slug will be as accurate as a rifle bullet!

both will kill a deer very quickly out to the range you stated.
you did not say what rifle round you where using if you are using a 45-70 with factory loads the two will be about equal if you are shooting a 30-60 the 06 will have the advantage.

You should check the state county and local laws and see what they say you can use, If you can use ether then I would chose the shotgun because they tend to be faster to handle and move in the heavy brush or tree stand.

what it boils down to is use what you feel most conferable with you will not go wrong with ether

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 04:48:02 AM »
RIFLE WITHOUT A DOUBT :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 06:27:53 AM »
I would choose lat-shooting rifle cartridge with quality 4x glass and low mounted scope. Know the exact trajectory of your bullet at your sight-in range, that is, the exact point of impact can be estimated within a 1/4" at any given range. Know the arc (distance above and below line of sight) the bullet travels getting to the zero distance. That way you can better "thread the needle" on tough shots through cover. No matter what you shoot, if you hit anything more than tissue paper on the way it will redirect the bullet's flight path.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.