Author Topic: rifled in rifled  (Read 803 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
rifled in rifled
« on: October 26, 2004, 08:08:58 AM »
i'm going on a state ''lottery'' hunt and on the regulation paper it said to use rifled slugs or buckshot. i'm going to bring my ultra slugger 20 ga. incase i can use sabot slugs but if i cant i want to use rifled slugs in the rifled ultra....i heard that rifled slug tend to go apart in fast rifleing like my ultra's 1-28''. so i'm thinking about brenneke slugs 'cause their solid they might stay tagether :P what do y'all think? i'm not expecting amazing accuracy but maybe 3''groups at 50 yd............. i hope this will work........
later :twisted:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline 22KHornet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
rifled in rifled
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 09:07:02 AM »
A freind of mine uses the rifled slugs in his rifled barrel without a problem.  Oh yeah, one problem.....they leave a ton of lead in the thing so get ready to do some scrubbing when your done :cry:
I must be crazy.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
rifled in rifled
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:41:42 AM »
I suggest you check with your Fish & Game department or whoever interperts or enforces the law and inquire about the sabots. I am not a betting man but I would bet that they are included and allowable under heading of "rifled slugs" which is almost a generic term nowadays.
 If not go with the Brennekes, much less leading (none really) and more accurate.....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
rifled in rifled
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 10:08:17 AM »
I'm sure MSP Ret is correct, but if he's not go with the breneke mp slugs.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Mohawk

rifled in rifled
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 10:10:29 AM »
Like 22KHornet said, good luck gettin' the lead out of that barrel. It's worse than the old .357 mag. swaged SWC load at 1,500 fps.

Offline Leftoverdj

rifled in rifled
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 06:53:35 AM »
I'm told that you can reduce or eliminate the leading problem by setting the loads out, slug up, and applying a few drops of Liquid Alox to the nose of each. Let 'em set a few days.

I've treated 15 shells and know that the LA wicks down past the crimp. Haven't gotten arount to shooting them yet. I applied exactly three drops each so there was little weight added and no chance it could get past the wad.

I have shot home brew slugs treated with LA without leading for years so I expect this to work. Bottle of LA only costs three bucks so it's worth a try.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
rifled in rifled
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 06:55:33 AM »
thank you :twisted:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
rifled in rifled
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
Snip.........  Liquid Alox Snip Again.........

I have shot home brew slugs treated with LA without leading for years so I expect this to work. Bottle of LA only costs three bucks so it's worth a try.

What is this stuff exactly???

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
rifled in rifled
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 12:06:35 PM »
I was wondering the same thing and additionally where do you get it?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Leftoverdj

rifled in rifled
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 02:48:44 PM »
Liquid Alox is a lube very popular among cast bullet shooters. Any large gun store should carry it and all the mail order houses carry it. You can also get it directly from Lee Precision. If you have a buddy who casts bullets, he'll probably have a bottle or two around.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
HARD CAST & LUBED SLUGS FOR RIFLED BARRELS
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 06:49:39 AM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
Liquid Alox is a lube very popular among cast bullet shooters. Any large gun store should carry it and all the mail order houses carry it. You can also get it directly from Lee Precision. If you have a buddy who casts bullets, he'll probably have a bottle or two around.

You might find it interesting that the folks @ Dixie Slugs are using it on their biggest and baddest hard cast & tempered full bore slugs for fully rifled barrels now.   The X-Terminator Slugs are 730gr and run 1400fps.  

Discussion of the new slugs along with a video clip of a guy firing the Dixie Terminator Express (740gr @ 1200fps) on this link:

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=15553

GOOD LUCK!   :D
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.