Author Topic: hunting gun  (Read 2006 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
hunting gun
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 01:44:04 PM »
GB. I think you are right on with the 125 gr PT for the 260. Some of the 260's with short barrels have a little trouble getting bullets to expand. The Partition in  the 120 grain and maybe even the 100 grain BT'S have worked well for me in my 260.
shot placement is everything.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
hunting gun
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2004, 07:59:56 PM »
Back to the origonal question...I have m70 feather weight classic in .270...and im in love with it.. Remington core-lokt ultra 130's
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline JPSaxMan

hunting gun
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »
Well, for those who were holding their breath awaiting my results with the .243 I think you'll be pleased. Thanks to some extra assistance with my shooting stature and a more solid rest (much more solid...a big front bag and a rear bag were in hand this time around) I was getting 1" groups at 50 yds with the same ammo. If I had the target I would have scanned it for you all. But...this didn't help me yesterday b/c I missed a doe at point blank range out of a tree stand. I had to make a bold move and stand up to take the shot (b/c of a shooting rail and the fact I was covered by thick stuff on all sides she was in a good clearing)...I guess at the bad angle I was at and at such a close range the bullet went clear out of harms way. Oh well. I wasn't meant to have that deer. Take care and good luck!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Highbrass

hunting gun
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2004, 11:20:26 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Just got done sighting in my 700 ADL .243. Groups weren't that hot at 100 yds. but when I pulled them in to 50, they were a little less than 2". Hopefully that'll kill a deer this year (or two)  :grin:  :D These groups were with 100 grain Core-Lokts. 8)

My wife shoots an NEF 243 rifle.She too had problems with the 100 Grain corelockts.Then we tried the winchester supreme ballistic silvertips(95 grain).I hate to pay that much for bullets but thats what works for her gun.She shoots 1"-3"groups at 100 yards.Maybe you should try a few different kinds of ammo through it.My 30/30 seems too shoot whatever I put in it well.

Offline Mohawk

hunting gun
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 01:56:27 PM »
A NEF Handi Rifle Limited Edition in .280 Remington using 150gr. Remington Core-lokts. Very good medicine for whitetails and hogs.

Offline TCShooter

• Avid Poster
hunting gun
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2004, 03:40:42 PM »
Either a 308 Rem 700 with 165gr. Sierra's or what I carry mostly these days, an Encore 15" 7mm-08 shooting 139gr. Hornady's or 140 gr. Sierra's
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
hunting gun
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2004, 07:35:14 AM »
This 25-06 Remington Sendero is one of the first run Remington made up. I nearly drove me crazy until I found out how sensitive the H&S Precision stocks are to bedding screw torque pressures. It was shooting 1.5 to 2" groups until I discovered the front bedding screw was set at 12 inch/lbs and the rear screw was set at 20 inch/lbs from the factory. I removed the barrel/action from the stock, cleaned off the bedding block, waxed the recoil lug and put a little Accuglass in the recoil lug cutout in the stock. Then I set the bedding screws to 65 inch/lbs and let it dry. When I cleaned everything up and reassembled the rifle it was shooting .25 MOA groups. Since then I have killed deer from 25 yards to 385 yards with one shot kills. At close to 3200 FPS muzzle velocity the point blank range is just under 400 yards. The excellent Hornady 117 grain SPBT sitting on top of 53.5 grains of H4831 and set off by a CCI Bench Rest Primer kills like the Hammer of Thor. As a matter of fact that is what a somewhat poetic friend of mine calls this rifle.

Mjollnir (Thor's Hammer)
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
hunting gun
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2004, 01:04:56 PM »
Ah those crystal mornings, chuggin' up to Black Rock in the old olds.
Bundled next to my Dad in the front seat, knowing I'd freeze soon.
The anticipation as a 9 year old in the late fifties. Mickey Mantle,
Marilyn Monroe... When would Dad let me shoot a deer!
Yes, My first rifle deer each year is still taken with my Dad's Savage
model 99 F in .300 Savage. Incredibly accurate, powerful, and oh such a delight to take afield, with a tiny Leupold atop. The great Northeastern
deer rifle. (Seen it referred to as that often.. I concur)!
One shot every year (43 in its life), and it's polished and put away!
Actually it's handled quite a lot during the year... You know kinda to really feel my Dad's presence!

Offline JPSaxMan

hunting gun
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2004, 01:48:24 PM »
That sounds like more than just a hunting gun. It sure is glad to know you find solace in the passion all of us are obsessed with.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
hunting gun
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 01:41:53 PM »
My M70 feather weight classic in .270      130  gr core-lokts
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--