Author Topic: Navy Arms 1860 Frontiersman in 36cal questions.  (Read 553 times)

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Navy Arms 1860 Frontiersman in 36cal questions.
« on: October 14, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
Howdy

I was so impressed with these pistols at the SASS convention I ordered two when I got back home. Have shot  them some in competition but haven't really had a chance to go to the range and really work up a load.
I've been shooting conicals with moderate success but have had trouble with caps.
 Switched to Treso nipples but the Remington 10&11's plus CCI 11's all seem to flatten and fall off. Haven't had any fall back in the action yet but worried they might.
 Anybody else shoot these pistols? What's ya best load?
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Navy Arms 1860 Frontiersman in 36cal questi
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:39:40 PM »
They appear to be Colt Navies with bobbed barrels. I don't use conicals
myself as R.B.s tend to be more accurate for me. I use 25 grs. of fffg under a .375 ball. To keep cap debris out of the action just tip the revolver up as you cock it for the next shot. There is a little channel machined in the top of the recoil shield above the capping cut-out to allow the cap to fall away from the gun. Works pretty good as a rule.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Flint

CAPS
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:00:13 AM »
The Treso nipples fit a Remington #10 cap.  A CCI #10 will be tighter fit than the Rem #10.  Both brands in a #11 as you discovered will be too loose.

I also found as have others, that a .380 ball is a better fit.  Try Warrenmuzzleloading.com, or Thunder Ridge.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:52:44 PM »
Think I've only shot a few round balls from these guns. Had a thing about wanting to shoot conicals because of the lube on them. Need to spend so time at the range with the round balls.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 05:06:16 PM »
Just shot BorderTown in Tuscon with my 61 36's and had no misfires, cap jambs.  I used 22 gr 3f Ele, rnd ball and lube over the ball.  10 stages- 100 rnds / 50 each.  No cleaning needed between stages/days.   Treso nipps in both, and they like #11 CCI caps.  Guns are Piettia with the steel grip frame.
   Tried the conicals from Lee mold, but was unimpressed with them so went back to rnd ball.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6