Author Topic: Ted cash cappers  (Read 964 times)

Offline gallatin

• Trade Count: (0)
Ted cash cappers
« on: October 05, 2004, 04:23:07 PM »
wanted to order a capper for my 1858 new army target and a 1860 army sheriffs model both by pietta(sic) today Cabelas said the ted cash would not work on the 1858. wondering if anyone can suggest a capper that would fit both. Also why won't it cap the 1858, sure looks like it would
Thanks in advance
John

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Ted cash cappers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 05:32:52 PM »
Cash makes several types of cappers. Dixie has available the following revolver cappers for your Colt only.

NA3970
NA7206
NA3908
NA7207
NA7105
Contact David at Track of the Wolf, or Tech Support at the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association online to find a Remington capper if one exists.

You also might try Navy Arms, or the North-South Skirmish Association.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Flint

capper
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »
The nipple windows in the Remington are narrow and tapered, and the cash snail capper is too wide in the nose to seat a cap.  Works fine on a Colt.

My solution, as others have done is to widen the windows on the cylinder to accept the cash capper, as it is the best one to use, since it will hold a whole tin of caps.  This can be done, if you are careful and skilled enough, with a Dremel tool.  Best done on a mill in a machine shop, open to about 5/16 diameter at the bottom, I used a 5 degree drafted cutter, but it can be parallel, angles just look a bit better on that gun.  Tried a ball end cutter to get the Ruger Old Army shaped opening but it still didn't quite pass the Cash capper near the bottom.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Ted cash cappers
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 05:20:32 AM »
For Remmies the two steel pronged end cappers work for me. The only thing I have been able to use my snail capper on is my ROAs.  I like the snail a lot.
I have extra cylinders for my 58s and usually load them at home and swap them out at the shoot. Cap them at the loading table and they really are no more problem than shooting cartridge.  :grin:
Now that I have gone through all that, I have to admit that I can't keep myself from shooting my Kirsts in the ROAs. Now that is a real smile maker. All my other stuff is getting dusty  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline bfoster

• http://www.cardingtonmachine.com
Ted cash cappers
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 06:03:19 PM »
The straight line capper that Dixie Gunworks sells as p/n NA 7208 works quite well on my original Remington M 1863. This is the model of revolver that the marketing people for the reproduction manufacturers have seen fit to dub as the M 1858, probably because they were confused by the patent date- the original M1858 has never, to the best of my knowledge, been reproduced.

A caution: there is dimensional variance in both original revolvers and reproductions. While this capper works in my revolver it may not work in yours- the nipple recess is indeed tight quarters.

Bob