Author Topic: They're smelling me!!!!!  (Read 761 times)

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
They're smelling me!!!!!
« on: November 09, 2004, 01:59:54 PM »
I wish that I could deal with that wonderfully efficient olfactory system that has endowed the whitetailed deer.

I set up in my dad's stand about 15 minutes from where I work. I worked at school all day and then took off. I changed into my hunting clothes in the woods. I wore scent supressing underwear. I wore clothes that have aired out and kept in a plastic bag. LL Bean boots with rubber bottoms. Sprayed White Lightning scent eliminator. I walked to my stand and then ignited the Deerquest scent sticks.

I climbed my stand and donned my Rancho gillie outfit and just waited. The path that I walked to my stand goes northwest. Today we had a stiff northwest wind and about 4:45 PM I heard a rush of leaves. Almost like a squirrel jumping down. Five minutes later I heard a deer blow once at me.

I believe she was walking down the trail to my stand and somehow got hold of my scent. This can be very frustrating.

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 02:35:27 PM »
Even with all the precautions, its usually not a good idea to take the path you expect deer to use to walk to your stand, even if that means taking the long way in.

Also, I think that a good part of the human odor that is detectable comes from the breath. We usually spend a lot of time and effort dealing with the clothing, boots, etc, but if you're breathing out, especially if you're not using a carbon mask, you're emmitting a huge amount of scent.

Access route is probably the least considered but most important consideration in a stand location.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 03:14:23 PM »
It has been a few years since I have done any hunting after work but when I did one of the best things I found was a body wash towel I think it was by Scent Shield. I would park, then take my clothes out of the bag and spray them with Scent Killer spray from Wildlife Research Center. I sprayed everything including my socks and also lightly sprayed my hair. Then while the clothes dried a little I would strip down and wash from head to toe with the towel. Then I would dress, spray fresh earth scent on the bottom of my boots and try to slowly work my way to the stand to keep sweat to a minimum (since most of this was in the Georgia Archery season you could not help but sweat some) Then when in my tree I would spray again with scent killer and then I would spray fresh earth scent on the tree above and below me. Even all this wont make you scent free or work 100% of the time but I have had deer come past me from all directions on the same afternoon and not seem to notice. The best precaution is as HuntenNut said and do everything you can to keep any scent away from the direction you expect the deer to come from. Just my  :money:
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:33:03 PM »
I was with you up until you lit the inscence!  That stuff is CRAP!!!
At the very least, it's an unnatural scent in a deers environment.

:)  I get a kick out of all of the "precautions" some hunters take to be "scentless".  At the most, I use unscented detergent and baking powder...THAT'S IT.  Cost me a total of maybe $5 per season.

I was "scented" once during this bow season.  I had WAY too much garlic for lunch, and the doe was only 10 yards DOWNWIND from me.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Daveinthebush

Feet
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 07:15:17 PM »
Try getting some raccoon scent from a trapping supply store and put a little on your boots before you walk in.

As someone else stated, don't walk on the same trail that you expect the deer to come in on. If you do tie a rag with a little Code Blue Standing Estrus and walk past your stand 25-30 yards and circle back around the other side.

On the other hand, some people stink no matter what they so. I had a friend that could do everything possible and the deer still got him.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 03:57:31 AM »
Trying to defeat your scent entirely is a losing cause. Reducing is not a bad idea. The unscented soap and baking soda are good, I use them with good results. Scent eliminator spray and rubber boots are myths. Rubbing your boots and pant legs down with baking soda does help, though. I would lose the scent sticks. Any foreign material that touches them will burn and produce a smoke scent that will alert a deer (even pollen or mold spores in the air). Best to approach your stand from a direction deer are least likely to cross, if at all possible. If this isn't possible, then approach from a direction where you have clear shooting lanes on either side. That way if the deer approaches your trail you get the option of shooting before it finds your trail, or if it spooks on your scent trail you have a good chance of getting a shot as it retreats.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 10:55:57 AM »
The deer caught me by surprise. I was expecting the action to come in front of me on a run. I really didn't expect the deer to use the same path as we use to go into the woods.

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 03:21:18 AM »
scent isint much of a problem in my area i hunt game lands and people are all over durin the summer and the deer dont care unles there like right on you and smell you. i have not killed one yet this will be my first year huntin em but while runin my trap line i have walked to about 20 yards of me and the jumped then and i have been walkin back up the same trail i went down earler and jump up deer.

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 08:26:27 AM »
If you have to go in to hunt without taking a shower try this. Stop at a filling station. Take a zip lock bag with a washcloth and some unscented Physoderm. This is soap used to kill the bacteria found on human skin. Wash in the batroom sink using warm water, the wash cloth and liberal amounts of Physoderm. Pay attention to the arm pits and crotch area. This will not only remove the day's odor but will prevent the buildup of new bateria/odor. When you redress put on clean underware and clean T-shirt. When you get to the hunting area change into hunting clothes.
I once had a job where I often got off around 2 to 2:30 PM I was already close to the hunting area, too close to go home and bathe. I used to Physoderm wash trick in the office batroom sink and put on clean underware and T-shirt. Once at the hunting area I would dress in clean cammos from a sealed plastic bag. Using this method I have had deer directly under me or next to a ground blind with zero scent discovery.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
They're smelling me!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 03:13:46 PM »
Racoon urine.  That's all I used my first time out Saturday... bagged a 4 pointer, and a second passed by an hour later and passed within 10 or 15 yds of me.  I was hunting on the ground, not in a tree.  Never smelled me...