Author Topic: What I did after work today.  (Read 528 times)

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
What I did after work today.
« on: October 27, 2004, 07:19:36 AM »
Hey guys and gals, got a little hunting in today after work. Met my friend Jon in Eastern Jefferson County on a private farm field (thank you Mr. O) for a bit of goose hunting. I arrived about 7:55 am, Jon had already set up the decoys and was waiting for me in the un-cut corn. I barely reached the edge when 2 geese appeared and Jon started to call them to the small set-0up he had out. He was unsuccessful in getting them to commit. Three more came in soon after and Jon took three shots as they were directly over his head, still no success (not sure how he missed but I'll rib him about it next time we go out.). I just got to his position and took my 10 gauge out of it's case when Jon spotted a large flock heading towards the field we were in. He started in on his goose flute in earnest and here they come! Over our heads a bit high they get behind us to make the approach to the awaiting decoys. Jon yells, pick out a good one, I did so and took the shot as they settled. They spooked to my left where Jon took one as well.

We watched the rest of the flock circle and honk like crazy and here come even more geese, total count circling and honking was near two hundred. But alas, one bird per hunter at this time of the season. We bagged out by 8:15.

A great morning if you ask me.

Again thanks to MrO for permission to hunt his farm.

Nixter http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=340

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 03:23:24 PM »
Man, I can't wait til it's my turn. We get 2 a day in the late season here. There's nothing like seeing those birds turn and commit. I know what you mean about the short hunt too. I drove 1 1/2 hour through fog last year for a 5 minute hunt.I'd do it again though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 04:55:38 PM »
Hope to go out late Friday and then again Saturday mornong as well. November 1st we will be allowed to take 2 a day until state quotas are met. We gotta save some for our Southern hunters 'ya know.

Nixter