Author Topic: Cover Scent???  (Read 986 times)

Offline Dave1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:12:42 AM »
From your actual experience, what would you consider to be a good or the best commercial brand and type of cover scent available for hunting in warm weather (Florida)?  Earth scent wafers, coon or fox pee, CoverUp, deer gland type scent, or ????.

Thanks, Dave

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
Cover Scent???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 04:19:08 AM »
I use earth scent cover spray, and scent bombs(doe estrus) around my stand during the rut, sometimes buck in rut wafers as well, if its not rut just the cover spray. I bring a small bottle to reapply while in the field, this is important, I spray down every couple of hours, for some reason when I use the dirt cover scent I always think of that peanuts character Linus with the dust balls rolling behind him LOL. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:20:10 PM »
I am in love with scent killer with autumn floor cover scent already in it.  And to add that extra little insurance I throw on some dirt scented wafers.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 05:08:46 PM »
I use earth scent. I also gather limbs, leaves, dirt and various other items from my hunting area. I put them in an unscented plastic bag and throw clean hunting cloths in there that have been washed with unscented soap and baking soda and let them soak up the natural odors over night or so.

Be Safe,
Scott

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Cover Scent???
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »
Forget those silly scents. Don't waste your money.

Do you really believe a deer's sense of smell is any less acute than that of a dog? A dog can smell a bag of weed wrapped in plastic and emersed in a gasoline tank.

Think of your own pitiful excuse for a nose. During the holidays ever walk into a room with a multitude of different foods cooking? Say Thanksgiving with roasted turkey and stuffing, several pies and other goodies? Can you smell more than one? Does one over power all the others? Then how the heck do you honestly think you're gonna fool a deer's nose by adding another scent? Not gonna happen. Stay down wind or the jig's up.

Now if you just GOTTA have scents consider this. Use turpintine to duplicate pine scent or Pine Sol Pine cleaner. If you want oak or hickory smell put some hickory husks or acorns in a bottle of water and let it set in the sun a few days. Strain it thru a cloth and bottle it in a spray bottle. You want earth scent? OK take some compost and make what gardeners call compost tea. Just put it in a bag and drop in it water a few days. Use just like the hickory or oak scents above.

This stuff is all free and works just as well. Won't help but at least you won't have wasted your money on junk that worked no better. You cannot fool a deer's nose. Stay down wind or be smelled.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 07:04:08 PM »
Forget those silly scents. Don't waste your money.

AMEN.  The best I have found is the wind in my face.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Dave1

• Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:55:04 AM »
10-4 on the downwind thing.  Bill's perspective is very accurate and unquestionably the best deer hunting setup that takes away the deer's best defense.  If you can stay downwind it doesn't matter what you smell like.

Unfortunately for many hunters (especially in the South) changing wind currents during the hunt is common and does spoil the downwind plan thus a percieved need for some type of cover scent.

Where I hunt in middle Florida the wind changes directions every 5 minutes or so and eventually will cover the entire 360 degree spectrum.  Scent control is foremost and totally dependant to a successful hunt down here.  Scent control suits are not practical because of the heat plus you usually have to have some type of insect repellant or Thermocell in use.  
You guys that hunt farther North are fortunate in this regard.

Back to subject; In the opinion of many Southern hunters a good cover scent does increase your chances of not being detected but as Bill suggests a deer's nose will be difficult to fool.  But, we have to try.

Good luck to all.

Dave

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 02:41:27 AM »
Quote from: Dave1
Back to subject; In the opinion of many Southern hunters a good cover scent does increase your chances of not being detected but as Bill suggests a deer's nose will be difficult to fool.  But, we have to try.

Good luck to all.

Dave

I don't know about that. Here is a Florida deer, no cover scent, hell no tree stand.  But I do understand what you mean about the heat.

Good Luck.

Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 12:44:11 PM »
If using cover scents make you feel more comfortable I don’t see a big deal with using them. I usually do what I stated in the earlier reply. If I’m hunting on the ground I will turn some dirt over to get some fresh dirt smell around me. Sometimes I will break off pine limbs and twist the needles to get fresh pine scent as well and I try to keep clean and keep my cloths out of the house or avoid gassing up on my way to the stand.

It’s funny though. For years my grandpa repeatedly killed deer wearing red plaid while smoking Prince Albert cigs. He’s killed as many deer as any one I know and some real humdingers at that.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 07:31:21 PM »
I would not use any scent that would indicate an alarm...........skunk pee comes to mind.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 07:55:11 PM »
If im archery hunting I use the scent killer fall blend, i think its called but if not..then...wind in the face..
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »
:D
Best cover scent!!  Dont Bath
                  :lol: Grizzy57

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 10:06:39 AM »
Funnier than smelling like a red fox in heat, at the Bear Mtn. zoo,
is grown men in trees in heavily hunted areas, braying like Frances the talking mule, rubbing wooden dowels together in a cloth sack.
The tactics I use are stealth, patience, and one shot. I'm happy for the woods. I hope you folks are too!

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
Cover Scent???
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 05:02:45 AM »
Cover scent works, I cut the tarcels out of my deer and use them,also save the urine, its good to use the deer urine and glands of the deer in the area you are hunting, I have had many bucks walk up on my drag, head down and following my track, I had a huge doe sneak up on me a few nights ago, walked right down my drag;) but I was so interested in the deer in the field, never heard her sneak up, she got about twenty yards then noticed me and blew, I had a bow at the time, so there was no chance for a shot, but if it was rifle season she was toast, she blew then terned broadsides to me;) I also wash in descent soap and use descent underarm deodorant, spraying down with fresh earth cover scent every couple of hours, these methods seem to work well for me, always get deer really close before they detect me, sometimes never detecting me and walk with in a ten feet of me at times, Being very still helps as well. watching your wind direction is very important due to deer tend to walk with the wind direction to there face. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline tscott

• A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 06:12:26 AM »
Is there any difference between my wife's unscented deoderant, and the stuff sold at sporting goods stores, for about 3 x the price?

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
Cover Scent???
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 09:02:57 AM »
I have found the sent eliminater sprays to be usefull especially if showers are hard to come by (snow shower hold no apeal to me :grin: ).  The first time I used one of those I had a bear 7 yards away down wind (I was in a ground blind by a bait). If it completely fooled the bear or not, it bought me enough time to slip an arrow into it's ribs. Applied right it keeps the general BO from a hard day of hiking down.

How about we expand this disscussion to include attractor sents.

Also don't forget about unsented laundry soap  Lemon sented camo does a guy no good.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Dave1

• Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 01:18:59 AM »
Downwind set ups are unquestionably the best, that is a given.

The problem we face down here is twofold.  First, the wind changes directions every few minutes on just about every hunt morning and evening.  Second, because it is usually quite warm and very humid, you perspire alot which creates more body odor.  That is also a given so you better be prepared and use whatever products (if any) and bathing regimen to help eliminate, or cover up, or mask your human scent or you are likely to be wasting your time in these woods.

It goes without saying that using scent free laundry soaps, washing and drying procedures for your hunting clothes is absolutley necessary.  If you hunt in an area where wind is constant and predictable, you should feel fortunate.

Attractant type scents????  These could help mask your scent and if you really did have something that did attract deer, that would be good.  Even then, a deer will not ignore the smell of human and come in if he smells you.  For attractant scents to work I think the deer would have to smell it and not you.  Then we are back to the original discussion.

Dave

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Avid Poster
Cover Scent???
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 02:51:33 PM »
ELEVATION nothing beats ELEVATION!!
third eye blinds the other two.