Author Topic: Any suggestions on .360 DW load?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Any suggestions on .360 DW load?
« on: October 30, 2004, 03:59:52 PM »
Hi guys, I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations on a load for my .357 Mag Handi barrel. Thanks to the generosity of Deadeye (a loong time ago!!!) I have 50 pieces of nice new shiny .360 DW brass. I have finally located the bullets I had planned to load in the brass instead of light .357 Mag bullets. They are Hornady 35 cal 200 grain Interlocks (.358) which I usually load for my Marlin model 336SC in .35 Remington.
 Using the powder I have on hand I have only been able to locate .357 Maximum loads for 200 grain bullets using either W296 (Winchester powder) or 2400. Does anyone out there have any suggestions regarding these powders using .360 DW cases behind the the 200 grain Hornadys? Which primers, rifle or pistol? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 06:49:27 PM »
MSP,

My experience has been that there isn't anything gained by using jacketed 200 gr, 220 gr or 250 gr bullets over the 180 gr Hornady XTP.  I load 11.0 gr 800X with CCI 550 and the 180 gr XTP/HP in .360 DW brass.  It isn't the hottest load around (1645 fps), but I got better accuracy with it at 100 yards.  Lil'Gun is probably the fastest powder, but it just doesn't give real good accuracy.   Another load I have had good accuracy success with is 7.5 gr 800X with a 250 gr Beartooth LFNGC, crimped in the crimping groove, in .357 brass with a CCI 400 at 1200 fps.  Both of these loads shoot around 1" at 100 yards.
 Here is a 16 page thread on my Handi in .357 Mag.  This is where I found out a roll crimp isn't liked by my Handi.  Now I use the Lee taper crimp die on everything that goes through the Handi.

Another load that has impressed me is 13.5 gr 2400 in .38 Special brass (this is the famous Keith load) CCI 500 with a 170 gr Keith type lead bullet at 1700 fps out of my Handi.  This load actually has a little more energy than the 180 gr XTP in .360 DW brass.

I think you may find what you are looking for in the following links.

Taffin

LASC

The following loads were reprinted from the Dan Wesson site.
Handloads.com

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 01:05:27 AM »
Thanks Paul!! Thats all great info and just what I needed. I was going to use the 200 grain bullets because I have them on hand for my .35 Remington but somehow had misplaced them (you know how it is when you get old and are doing too many things). I just found them yesterday. I was supposed to have be gone to my camp in Maine already but because of unforseen things that have come up ( :( ) I am going to be around for another wek or so, maybe even 2. I am trying to juggle a new addittion at the house with a hunting buddies from Maine coming to the Cape for a wedding. I may have to wait until a couple of things are straightened out here and then when he comes to the wedding I will returm and give him a ride back to Maone at the same time....problems. problems...but I guess there are worse things than a little delay in a hunting trip....Some say the 3 rd week on is a bit better that the first week anyway....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley