Author Topic: Topper Jr in .410 or 20Ga ?  (Read 796 times)

Offline deerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Topper Jr in .410 or 20Ga ?
« on: October 27, 2004, 08:35:10 AM »
I am going to get a Topper Jr for my 11 year old son.  I want to teach him how to hunt, and to shoot hand tossed clay targets at the gun club.

The weight is listed as 5 pounds, and I thought that the recoil might be too much from a 20 gauge using a game load.  I want to teach him to hunt safley on the stocked pheasants here in Mass and I was worried that the .410 might be too light for pheasants, but the 20 gauge might recoil too much.

Has anyone shot both?  Will the .410 using #6 kill a pheasant?

I used to have an old H&R 10ga 3.5 inch a long time ago as a turkey gun, and I would bruise my shoulder launching ounces of #4s.

I would rather him try to get closer and enjoy shooting, than shying away from a hard recoiling shotgun.

Offline whacker

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 10:04:28 AM »
It would be hard for anyone to say which would be best for your son, with out knowing how tall he is and body shape. But I'm willing to put my foot in my mouth. If your son has a stocky built then I'd get the 20ga if he's small I'd go with a 28ga (the shells for a 28 will cost the same as a.410) but the 28 as a little more shot and it patterns more like a 20ga and recoil from a28 anyone can handle. Once your son gets some shooting  and hunting knowledge then he can go for a .410. have a great time hunting with your son. P.S. #6 shot works just fine.
you have to shoot good, to eat good 8)

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 12:46:10 PM »
The recoil from a 20 ga youth gun could be more than an 11 year old can handle.  I would get him the .410 and let him learn the basics of safe gun handling and shooting with that. After he is comfortable you can have a 20 ga barrel added to it.  You are only 1 1/5 hours from Gardner. You could drive it right up to H&R 1871, drop it off, and pick it up when its done.  Nothing will turn a kid off to shooting more than being intimidated by recoil.
Hope this helps
Tony212

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 01:40:47 PM »
I was a big kid but I started off with a 20ga topper deluxe when I was that age. It had a recoil pad and I have no recolection of thinking the recoil was to much. I had'nt ever heard of recoil shyness though. I think sometimes people worry about recoil a little to much. I wouldn't have dreamed of complaining about recoil when I was a kid. Of course I never shot the gun unless I was hunting. I think dad let me shot one tin can and the next thing was a squirrel. Clays were something for rich folks. I realize now that we were not that poor but the way he taught me to use ammo made me a better shot and better hunter. Get him the 20 add some weight and a recoil pad and he'll be fine and more successsful. It's always great to hear some one getting their kid started.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline deerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 04:12:37 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I want to get it for him for Christmas.  I think I might start with a .410, and then if he is ok with it, maybey I'll get a 20 ga, after all.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 07:39:56 AM »
Quote from: deerhunter
Thanks for the input everyone.  I want to get it for him for Christmas.  I think I might start with a .410, and then if he is ok with it, maybey I'll get a 20 ga, after all.

That sounds like a great plan!   I just wonder if perhaps there's some way to get the best of everything and include a rifle in the mix?   Since you can't add a rifle barrel to a shotgun frame, maybe get him a little centerfire rifle with a 410 barrel as a set?   Set the rifle barrel aside for future use and let him shoot the 410 for now - then add the 20ga in a couple years when he's older?   You could always have fun yourself with the rifle barrel in the meantime.  Pick something you would like to shoot  and which you would enjoy teaching your son to shoot down the road - maybe with a scope on it?  
http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=2&subcat=10

Now that Remington offers their "Managed Recoil" ammo in 30-06 & 270 Win, it makes either of these calibers a very viable option for anyone choosing a lightweight single shot rifle like the Handi-Rifles.   Almost like Remington had the Handi-Rifles in mind!    You can always install a "Youth" buttstock on the receiver for your son - swap it for an adult size buttstock if you want to shoot the centerfire rifle?  

http://www.remington.com/ammo/centerfire/managed_recoil.htm

You always have the option to shoot full house 270 or 30-06, but also the choice to use lightwight (270=115gr ~ 30-06=125gr) bullets which produce very light recoil - perfect for deer to 200 yards!  

GOOD LUCK!   :wink:
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 05:33:48 PM »
I struggled with the same question when I purchased a Pardner for my 12 year old son.  Either the punishing recoil of a 20 gauge, or the lack of success with a 410, could turn off a new shooter/hunter to the sport.  I solved my problem by purchasing both (in addition to my 12 gauge), and letting him choose what to use, and when.  I made sure that he realizes that if he's going to shoot trap with a 410, he's going to miss a lot of them, and that's OK.  He took his first goose with the 20 gauge today using a 3 inch load of #1 steel shot.  He didn't complain about the recoil, but I don't think that he would like to shoot a round of trap with those loads.
http://home.comcast.net/~btvd/images/Ben_goose.jpg
I also recommend looking around for one of the limited edition Pardners.  They cost a few dollars more, but they come with a really nice recoil pad and a laminate stock with a cool emblem in it.  Here's a picture of our trio of Pardners in 410, 20, and 12 gauge.