Author Topic: Pietta Navy Colt clone.  (Read 690 times)

Offline jeager106

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pietta Navy Colt clone.
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:27:05 PM »
I have a Pietta Navy Colt clone in .44. Now we all know they Colt Navy was a .36 caliber ,but this Italian replica of the Navby is a .44.
Good well made pistol, but like most of that ilk it shoots about a foot high at 20 yards. Accuaracy is good 'nuff considering the crude hammer notch rear sight, but that intty bitty font bead has got to go.
I higher front sight would bring the point of impact down to minute of shoe box accuracy.
Anyone got any suggestions, frugal, as in CHEAP, for putting a higher front sight on her?

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Pietta Navy Colt clone.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 03:20:15 AM »
If these are like the Rogers and Spencers I got the front sights are a brass pin screwed into the barrel.

If this is the case you can unscrew it and have a higher one made using brass rod or put a dab of solder on it to increase the length and reshape it.  The only down side to this is that you need to take care with the higher sight so as not to bump it.  The other option, just a thought, is to bury the front sight in the rear notch.  This in effect gives you a lower impact point.

On my Roger and Spencers I had a windage & elevation problem so I just pulled the old site dovetailed the barrel and put a driftable one in it.  This seems to be the best way of solving most front sight issues.  I did both guns to they were matched and offered the same sight picture.

DonT :D

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
Pietta Navy Colt clone.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 04:01:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips Don. :D

Offline Ramrod

Pietta Navy Colt clone.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 11:58:38 PM »
I solved the problem on a little .31 Colt by gringing the sight off. Then I cut a shallow lengthwise slot with a Dremel and soldered in half a penny. If you are Really cheap, cutting that penny in two is gonna hurt. :)
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith