Author Topic: UK shooter requires good advice please  (Read 582 times)

Offline Brit Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
UK shooter requires good advice please
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:37:48 PM »
Hi Everyone.

I’m looking to find out a few things, hope I might get some good advice here on this super web-site which I have only recently discovered.

My situation is this… I presently reside in the UK, and after years of mourning the loss of my ‘pistols’ and the decimation of my sport, my wife and I finally decided to emigrate to a country where shooting sports are still allowed (and encouraged).
   Now, I am constantly browsing the various web-sites ‘window shopping’ for a few pistols. Obviously I cannot import them into the UK as this is against the law, however, the country where we are planning to move to will allow me to ‘import’ them when we ‘arrive’. I would ideally like to purchase the guns in the USA, as there is a great ‘choice’ available and the prices are good in comparison to our new country of choice. So, I guess I am looking for a dealer who will be able to arrange the export of  a number of guns, and who also has a good selection, keen prices and preferably located either in Florida or New York areas, as I would ideally like to visit in person to ‘take a look’ before I buy! (If I call it a holiday and take the wife, I may get away with it… hence Fl or NY… sneaky huh!).
   I have already been in touch with D&R Sports, as I was really impressed with their web-site (stock list and prices), and I would invite anyone for their views on this company.

I may post this elsewhere, so please excuse me if you see it ‘repeated’ a few times.

To recap…

·   Dealer who will export (or arrange export)
·   Keen prices
·   Honest (may have to order without seeing the gun/s)
·   Fl or NY area preferable (others considered)

Finally, I would just like to say once again that I think this a ‘great site’, congrats to ‘Graybeard’ and all who contribute.
:D

Offline Questor

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 09:23:12 AM »
If you must do it that way, then I recommend a dealer in Florida because Florida is an export hub to the Carribean, and they will be familiar with the basic laws pertaining to export of firearms.  Start in Miami, open the phone book, and go to the shops with the biggest advertisements.  

However, I would do it differently.

Most of the problems you are likely to encounter will be in the destination country. There is a very broad spectrum of possibilities. My recommendation is to first decide where you want to live, then find out how you can import from the U.S.  Citizenship may be an issue.

As far as buying guns is concerned, there are many to choose from and if your interests are specialized, you may not find the gun you are looking for at any gun shop you visit. This particularly applies to competition target arms. These are often special-order items because they are expensive, the market is limited, and grip size often needs to be based on the size of the customer's hand.  Another possibility is to just buy the guns in your new country.

You may not yet fully appreciate the number of gun dealers in the U.S. It's a very large country, and there are many gun dealers.  It is an industry not known for scandal, and honesty is not much of a problem.  Open the phone book, then go to the shops with the biggest advertisements.  They will let you handle the guns you'd like to handle.
Safety first

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 10:08:15 AM »
Your best bet is to hire a local import/export broker when you get to your new location. US laws prevent exporting firearms or even firearm parts that exceed $100 without an export license. Your broker will be familiar with the local import laws and the US export laws.

Once an export license is issued, you can buy your guns from major US distributers at wholesale prices and more favorable shipping rates. This will save you a lot of money and time. The distributers are already set up for foreign sales and know what needs to be done.

If you try to go it alone, you're in for a real hassle. You might visit a gun dealer in your new country. They will already have established channels and should be able to get any firearm that is legal in your new location. It will probably be cheaper and more timely to buy from a local dealer than to pay all the broker fees.
GLB

Offline Brit Guy

Thanks Guys
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 12:25:34 AM »
Sorry for the long delay in replying... computer problems.

Just to clarify, out destination is NZ, also I have a contact there for importing (permits). Since writing this thread, i have done a little more homework and things are looking positive. The import/export should be no problem, just as long as the paperwork is in order.

Thanks again guys.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 10:29:03 AM »
Brit Guy;

Hope everything goes your way and your able to get the handguns you want. The best of Luck to you and your new home.
This makes you want stop for a moment and think how lucky we are to be able to have handguns here in this country.
Do stay in touch, would you ole boy.  :)
Keep us posted.

Dennis  :D

Offline Brit Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 11:00:45 AM »
Certainly will old bean... must go now, tiffin time... toodle pip and ta ta.. :)