Author Topic: a time for remembrance  (Read 645 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
a time for remembrance
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:43:58 AM »
Nov.11 will be here soon and it always gets me thinking. a number of my family have served in military forces and i've comiplied a fairly accurate list of the ones i know of so far.

Pte. William Huggart, 1915-1918, Rifleman, CEF, Ypres, The Somme, Flanders.
Cpl. John Wood, 1941-1945, Rifleman, RCA, South Sask. Regiment, Dieppe, Normandy, Holland
LAC1. Alexander Frasier, 1939-1945, Mechanic, RCAF, Repair Depot, Dundurn, Saskatchewan.
LT (J.G) Robert Wood, 1941-1945, 1950-1954, Pilot, USN, U.S.S Ranger, South Pacific, Korea.
Able Seaman Edward Wood, 1938-1941, RN, H.M.S Hood, KILLED IN ACTION May 24, 1941
2nd Lt. George Wood, 1968-1970, USMC, Infantry, Viet Nam

TO THES MEN, I SAY THANKS
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
a time for remembrance
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:59:15 PM »
I also say thanks to those valiant men, I salute them all....<><... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kevin.303

a time for remembrance
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 06:43:02 PM »
my family has been fortunate enough to survive some of the bloodiest days of the 20th century and of the 5 men who saw combat, only one lost his life in action,  and any history buff knows that in that case survivial wasn't possible. my great uncle John, who i never knew, was deeply affected by what he'd seen and done and died early in his late forties. i met Lt Robert Wood (everyone calls him Col. Bob, his rank in the Confederate Air Force) at a family reunion this summer and he was delighted to see someone my age take such a keen interest in preserving the past and the memories of those who served. his son, a Marine lieutenent, served for 2 years in Vietnam, but died of cancer in the late eighties.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline VTDW

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
a time for remembrance
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »
Kevin,

Yours is a good post for us all to think about.

For a Veteran's Day rememberance and to make the kids think a year ago one of the administrators at one of our campus sites held an assembly.  She had passed out some forms for the kids to take home to work on with their parents.  The form was asking for names of families' relatives that had died in military action.  The list was read while a PowerPoint of our soldiers in action in Iraq was on auto-play and Lee Greenwood's God Bless The USA playing.  The list was several hundred names long and went back to the Revolutionary War.

It was quite an emotional thing for us all that day.  The kids were all High School kids and there were not many dry eyes in the room.  That goes for the adults also.

Dave
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline kevin.303

a time for remembrance
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 05:20:54 PM »
well i learned something interesting tonight. the family member who had been in the Marines in 'Nam didn't die of cancer, but as a result of exposure to Agent Orange. i'd heard of it making people sick, but not of anyone ever dying from contact with this crap. got 2 more names to add, Henry Wood who served with the US Army in WW2, where i don't know, and George Wood who was an American pilot in the First World War. that was a surprise. some of you guys from California might actually have heard of him. he's from the Napa Valley area and was a practicing doctor for somethin like 70 years. he lived to be 102 and when he turned 100 the town gave him a big parade. :grin:

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
a time for remembrance
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 07:06:56 PM »
Yes a salute to all the vets those living and those that died to keep us free. At least we have a Commander in Chief that is not a disgrace to them.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
a time for remembrance
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 12:58:43 PM »
Kevin;
  I too salute these men of your family, along with all who served.

If I recall correctly, the Hood had  perhaps only one survivor or at best, perhaps four or five...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline kevin.303

a time for remembrance
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »
there was a total of 3 survivors out of a compliment of just over 1,400.